View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 1:30 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Offended? 
All-star
All-star

In our group discussion today we were having a lively discussion with Dr. Turner. I was wondering if any of you guys were feeling slightly attacked, or offended by some of the topics or readings that we have done this semester. Does anyone feel that their beliefs, or religious beliefs have been slighted due to these topics or readings?

Thu Apr 10, 2003 6:06 pm
All-star
All-star

Until I read your post I did not really even think to consider that people might be offended, maybe not agree, but be offended? No. Maybe that is a weakness that I need to learn from. I suppose that to me exposure is what education is all about, constantly examining the ideas that you hold to be true, and either modifying or strenghtening them. That task is not always easy and for me can be rather exhausting. But, I think whether one agrees or not it is important, especially for teachers, to understand what is out there and to be open enough to learn from it. In your classroom you will see it all and hear it all. I want to be prepared.

Sun Apr 13, 2003 9:04 pm
All-star
All-star

Christine, I think you've brought up something that a few people have been thinking about. Once in a while I feel like my beliefs are being infringed upon. However I try to keep an open mind and tell myself that knowing about these issues only makes me a better educator. But there are a few articles that I've wanted to toss out, because of my religious faith. I just try to keep an open mind, and realize that some of that stuff is just a test of my faith and my beliefs. Not saying I like it sometimes, but I try to at least listen to it.

Sun Apr 13, 2003 10:02 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am not being offended, but I do feel a little strange at times about voicing my opinion. Frankly I will say that I am a Christian and I have certain beliefs about things, but due to my extraordinary open mindness I choose not to say anything because I am afraid of offending someone else. I think it is very important for everyone else to be able to state their opinions and for everyone else to at least try and see where they're coming from whether they agree with it or not. I do sometimes feel that if I was to share my views on a topic as a Christian that I might be ridiculed by some or maybe even seen as closed minded. I feel that this is something that maybe we should discuss in class. This could have some bearing on our jobs as teachers and the discussions that will take place in our classrooms one day. :)

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:21 am
All-star
All-star

Joel, I think that if people feel moved, they should definitely share their thoughts and not be afraid of being ridiculed. If anything, by speaking out, you learn more about yourself and others. I wish more people in class would voice their opinions. I know that I can talk alot , but I don't like one sided debates. I realize also that there are some deeply religious people in our class and I think that that is beautiful but just because someone doesn't claim to be a Christian doesn't mean that they are not a spiritual person that is aware of others' convictions. I know very well what it means to be a Southern Baptist, but I have learned that those particular beliefs are not ones that I share because I have problems with the things that were always instilled in me in my church. I never get offended in our class but if I still went to the same church I grew up in and believed all that I was taught then...I could understand how people might get offended.

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:55 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't think the material being presented is trying to persuade or to offend someone. I think one of the goals of this class is to present these issues and beliefs to everyone so that as future educators we are aware of what is out there. An individual does not have to accept or even understand someone's beliefs, sexuality and/or opinions but to atleast be openminded about all the issues and to know that they are present in our society today. As a teacher we are probably going to come across lots of the issues and circumstances that we have discussed in class and we need to be prepared to handle every single one.

Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]