View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Attendance policies on snow days 
All-star
All-star

With all of the wierd weather we have been experiencing, how should schools make up days when there are large numbers to be made up. Saturday school is an option, but then again you only have a certain number of Saturdays. Also, you have sporting events on Saturdays, so that would eliminate this schooling for some. Would staying after school longer be an option? Sundays of course would not be an option, how about extending the school year? Just something I was thinking about. :?

Fri Apr 11, 2003 6:06 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that extending the school year is probably the best route to an extent, but the problem lies with year-round schools. I subbed at a year-round school today and asked this question, and they said that they actually do get work done on Saturdays. Even though it is a half day, there is no lunch, but it gets exhausting after 4 Saturdays in a row. However, parents who place their kids in year-round school are prepared to send their kids on Saturdays, as I went to year-round school and knew that it would happen.

Mon Apr 21, 2003 3:58 pm
All-star
All-star

I was just watching the news and they were saying that in situations like this, many schools are talking about just lengthening the school days by minutes each day. I think that this would be the best option. I think that attending school on Saturday isn't very fair to the students, parents, or the teachers.

Tue Apr 22, 2003 5:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with you Kelly! I think that lengthing the school day until the time is made up is the best solution. I think going to school on Saturday just wears out the kids and it doesn't even do any good for the education. I think also adding days towards the end can help if it is not too many days. If the students go too far into the summer everyone is so anxious to get out in the sun that they do not even care about learning. This is something school systems need to realize.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 4:53 pm
All-star
All-star

I don't know if there really is any good answer to this question. There is no real time that students or teachers want to give up, whether you're considering their afternoons, their Saturdays, or their summer. But I suppose that adding a few days at the end would be the best way to go. Usually, that is what they seem to do in my hometown. Also, they could take away a few days of breaks. However, I don't think that an entire break should be taken away. A little break needs to stay in place, kids need that. Basically, I think taking a little here and there is the best idea, rather than going to extremes in one way or another.

Wed Apr 30, 2003 12:35 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]