View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 The Darkening Sky 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I first told my parents, two successful biologists, that I was going to be a teacher, I was met with the same pessimistic attitude that was reflected in the "Bitter Lessons" article. They said I was going to have a hard and wasted life. Perhaps I'm being immature, but I am tired of having to defend my choice to be a teacher. How many of you reading this paragraph have had someone complement you on your choice to become a teacher? People are surprised that people would willingly enter a field where the pay is deplorable, and you are under constant criticism from the world. Or if people aren't hailing you as a saint for this massive sacrifice of becoming a teacher, they simply pity you. I never hear pity for people becoming accountants or lawyers, only praise and approval. But then, why do I care what others think? In the long run, people's approval makes little difference, but I don't want my profession to be what people judge me by. The article "Bitter Lessons" was just another disillusioned person complaining about life and teachers. It's silly, but I was insulted by the article and the remarks made about teachers being tools and robots of the government and society. I realize that he was not talking about me, but this article irritates the nagging fear that my life will be wasted as a teacher. I will not make any difference in the school system, and only add to the problem. Gatto doesn't just try to snatch the hope away from teachers that their efforts mean something, he destroys the hope and smashes it under his shoe. So, now I type and wonder, am I going to be this bitter one day too? Did I make the wrong career choice? I don't think I did, but articles like these don't ever provide a light or goal. They only darken the sky.

Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:23 am
All-star
All-star

I disagree that this article was by a disillusiond person. I don't think that this man was complaining about life. In fact I think that he was quite the opposite of disillusioned. I think that he has had real experiences, and he is not complaining about life - he is trying to make life for himself and his students better. I totally agree that many time the real critics are ignored - the students. Many teachers often discredit students' opinions about education because they are young and do not understand the system. If we aren't listening to them, then what should make them want to listen and learn from us. I do think that teaching has become just a job for many teachers. I also think that many teachers do exactly what they are told to do by their school systems. They try to use miracle systems that are guaranteed to make students learn. There isn't a correct formula to teaching. The only right way to teach is to show students that we, too, have a lot to learn. If they see that we care about what they think and we want to learn, then they will want to learn, too.

Tue Jan 24, 2006 3:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]