View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:44 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Class outside 
All-star
All-star

i was wondering what everyone thought about holding class outside occasionally when the weather is nice. I know i enjoyed getting outside for class because at least it was a change from the brick wall in front of me.

Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:57 am
All-star
All-star

I liked going outside on nice days throughout school. Of course we hardly ever went outside in high school, unless it was for p.e. I think there has to be an expected loss of attention from students; someone's going to play with the bugs, somebody will blow on grass and make that high pitched squealing noise, so the task needs to be something that the students will be able to do again for homework. I think from a teacher's standpoint it is difficult to hold an effective lesson outside, but it does break up the monotony of normal classroom lectures. And "a little nonsense now and then is relished by the wisest men." :D

Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the idea of class outside is a good one to use occassionally. You cannot use it too much because some people will get distracted and not complete the attempted goal for the day. I plan to use some outside class time when my teaching career begins. I had some outside classes here at ASU this summer and enjoyed them except for one part, the noise. :x The noise was horrible. You could barely hear the teacher. All situations will not end up that way, sometimes you will be blessed with a teaching situation that is quiet. :lol:

Mon Apr 14, 2003 5:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Personally, I think the idea of having class outside is absolutely wonderful!!!!! :lol: :lol: :lol: As a matter of fact, I wouldn't be opposed to having class outside tomorrow if it is as beautiful tomorrow as it was today! We have had so much snow and rain lately and I would love to sit outside!!!!!!!!!!

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:44 pm
All-star
All-star

8) I think holding classes outside on occasion is a superb idea. It gets students out of the classroom and into a more stimulating environment. I think it is important to get out of the desks and classroom and do something different. I had a health ed teacher who would take us on fieldtrips to grocery stores, health food stores, hospitals, and even to the parkway! Our class definately appreciated it!!-GREAT IDEA :P

Thu Apr 17, 2003 1:46 pm
All-star
All-star

Class outside will be a definite in my classroom. Kids need a change in their environment. I remember in my eighth grade algebra class, we always wanted to go outside in the afternoon. So, my teacher would let us work out problems on the sidewalk with chalk. I thought that was a great idea! Of course, that wouldn't work with all class situations, but I could see possibilities of using the outside environment to do activities in a lot of different areas. Plus, it is a proven fact that the sun has a positive effect on people's moods. I don't really see a reason not to go outside, especially if your blessed with a pretty day!

Thu Apr 17, 2003 11:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]