View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Barbie World!? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This kind of goes back to the video we watched about advertisements and the view of how women should look. Is it just me or is Barbie just crazy? Why not make an old woman Barbie, or a less curvy Barbie? I was in a store the other day and my wife pointed out to me pregnant Barbie. It does show a picture of a family and refer to her as Mother Barbie, but I just think that it is crazy to have every aspect of a persons life molded into a Barbie doll and no matter how hard you work, your hair will stay perfect and keep its shiny blonde gloss. I don't know, maybe I don't understand because I am a guy...can you girls help me understand this??? :roll:

Mon Apr 14, 2003 11:31 am
All-star
All-star

hats off to you, joel. you're completely right. there is no need to cover every aspect of a person's life in a plastic doll whose body build would actually be incredibly painful, were she a real person. maybe there's a reason that some little girls felt the need to cut off all or barbie's hair or deface her body--sweet, innocent baby girls already building up anger toward a piece of unrealistic plastic that represents a person you can never be. ha, i'm actually feeling some anger toward her myself :wink: whoever is actually credited with the idea for barbie, i hope a lot of money makes them happy because they've sure got a lot of females out in the world that don't think too highly of them.

Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:05 am
All-star
All-star

wasn't the first barbie made out of a potato or something? or am i getting that from that simpsons episode? i'd think the original, if it came from a tater, would not have been intended to model this unachievably "perfect" body....i mean who would want to look like a potato person??? :wink:

Tue Apr 15, 2003 12:10 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

I have extreme issues with the pressure on women to look and act and be a certain way. There was a situation where people were getting upset because the measurements of Barbie were physically impossible for a human to achieve. Here we are giving these perfect dolls to mostly females at a very young age. I wonder if this has had any impact on the severe eating disorders in young and older women these days?? I always wanted to start a magazine that focused mainly on what it means to be a HEALTHY WOMAN. I would have normal weight models and provide positive, healthy ways to loose weight. Also I would give facts about different eating disorders-in hopes to help women stay away from the "ideal" woman, and focus on inner acceptance and complete love and respect for oneself.

Tue Apr 15, 2003 1:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Barbie has made its creator so much money over the years, but in the same respect the doll has caused lots of controversty too. Due to the doll's unrealistic measurements and the fact that the company has now come out with a pregnant barbie has also caused an uproar. Many people believe that Barbie is single and is dating Ken and that she should not be pregnant outside of marriage. But overall, it is hard for women and young girls to put aside this image of the perfect body shape and let it be okay to be a bit larger in size.

Tue Apr 15, 2003 5:23 pm
All-star
All-star

I am so glad that this topic was brought up. Yes, Barbie is totally unrealistic. I don't remember the exact measurements, but I have read somewhere the human equivalent to Barbie. It was crazy and absolutely unnatural. Plus, who really has feet like that? :wink: I am flat-footed, so you can imagine that confused me as a kid. I would say that Barbie's look is unattainable. But is it really in today's world? I mean, all you have to do is get a boob job and liposuction, right? They even have that permanent makeup stuff now, so you can wear your makeup all day long. It's crazy to imagine, but are we turning into a culture of Barbies. Are we teaching little girls that they all need to have a certain body and face and hair? This really concerns me because I will be teaching very young girls, and I want to be able to help them accept themselves. Is there anything that can be done? And by the way, I really have to applaud you guys for talking about this. I think that is really cool!

Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:09 pm
All-star
All-star

Ha! :lol: You're so funny! The sad part is that little girls don't even think twice about barbie being unrealistic. I'm not totally convinced that barbie totally shapes little girls into thining they have to look exactly like her- but I think it's very possible. I actually heard that they were going to make a more normal looking barbie a while back-- wonder whatever happened to her.... AND I wonder if the kids wanted to buy her-or if they would rather have the perfect doll?...

Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:26 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]