View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 9:19 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Busy work for students 
All-star
All-star

Some times in school I feel like teachers are giving me things to do that are pointless. I have several classes that have me do things that are unneeded, just to fullfill some sort of time or other requirement. Do you guys think teachers should have enough say so to eliminate busy work. What could be the replacement for busy work? Possibly a creative idea from the teacher? It seems when teachers are using busy work, it can be a sign of laziness or incompetence on their part.

Mon Apr 14, 2003 3:03 pm
All-star
All-star

to be completely honest--i think the education major is nothing but busy work. there's a lot of talking about current issues and topics that will come up to be dealt with in your classroom, but there is also a whole helluva lot of busy work. i've never had another class in college that could even compete with the amoun ot reading and writing assigned in my education classes

Tue Apr 15, 2003 8:57 am
All-star
All-star

Molly, I think you're right, My block classes are kicking my tail. I want to be a teacher very badly and I will strive to do so, however with all of the busy-work that I must complete it does chip away at my motivation to become a teacher. We have already had one student drop out of our block b/c of the extensive busywork, and that's really sad to me. But I also see the flip-side of the argument; teachers must constantly keep improving their teaching styles and their own knowledge, so the struggle seems to never end. :? I guess my two cents is that hopefully everything that we do will pay off in the long run. I want to be well prepared once I get out in the schools. We'll see :wink:

Tue Apr 15, 2003 9:53 pm
All-star
All-star

YES! I totally agree-- I think that busy work is so pointless! I know that it must be CRAZY trying to manage little kids all day long- and sometimes teachers may do something to just get a break. I think another alternative for atleast elementary kids would be a journal. Yes- it could be looked at as being a waste of time- but it could be a possible outlet for some kids to express their feelings. And it's so cool to keep those things and look at them years later!

Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:29 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree that it is easy to assign worksheets or uninteresting questions to students. I have seen students sit and do worksheets for up to an hour. I found some of these worksheets are hard for the students to relate to the material. They can misname a picture and thus get the question wrong. Or they are given a word puzzle that totally baffles them. I think students learn more when they interact in learning. For example have a class discussion or exercise, or have a game or activity that helps the child develop the intended content. I think students would be more eager to learn and would increase their learning.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 9:55 am
All-star
All-star

I totally agree with you guys. I have only been in the school of Education a year and sometimes I have doubts about my major. I think that I have learned a lot but I have learn more in CI2800 and 3800 than any other class. We actually sit and have discussions on what is going on in education and how to be a better teacher. That is what I learn from. I don't learn from making lesson plan after lesson plan. I think most anyone could make up a half way decent lesson plan. We need to hear how to be good teachers and then we can learn what makes a good lesson plan. I know teaching might not be the hardest job in the world but I want want to learn from other people and not fill out worksheets and plans during my whole major education.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]