View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:47 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Puttin kids on Meds 
All-star
All-star

More and more you hear about kids being put on med's just because they are hyper or can't be controlled by the teacher. I was wondering how you all felt about the diagnoses of ADHD/ADD and how today more and more kids are being put on ritalin, even those that probably don't need to be. Why do we atomatically drug our children when perhaps other factors could come into play (such as poor management, improper stimulation, etc) what do u guys think??

<3 Jennie Ingram

Mon Apr 14, 2003 9:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I guess my question is.....what is normal? Should a child who is still developing be taking drugs in order to be "calm". They are children- are they supposed to be calm? I think that maybe more time could be put into stimulating the child by attempting to provide the student with a more reasonable way to express themselves. Could we, as teachers put more effort into finding a teaching style that will acclamate such a child's learning style?

Mon Apr 14, 2003 10:41 pm
All-star
All-star

Okay, I have a lot of feelings about this topic. It seems like today that we try to find a pill for everything. We are expected to be perfect ALL the time, and if we're not, well take a pill. This goes for everyone, not just kids. We just want the quick fix. As for ADD/ADHD diagnoses, I think that way too many children are put on ritalin. Everyone automatically assumes that ADD/ADHD means hyper. That is not the case at all. ADD/ADHD is more a concentration disorder. Just because a kid wants to run around and be mischevious, this doesn't mean that they have a problem. They are just being kids! You can really see a problem with concentration and being still in a person actually affected by ADD/ADHD. I think a lot of teachers and parents use ritalin as discipline because it is easier than doing it themself.

Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:28 pm
All-star
All-star

Again, I have to refer back to my very educational ed. psych. class on this one. My professor (being the radical that she was) believed that there are no such things as ADD and ADHD, etc. Now, I'm not saying I agree- but her point was that our society created these titles to put kids into further catagories and because people seem to need an explanation for everything. I just thought this was an interesting point. I didn't always agree with her ideas, but she did tend to make some rather interesting comments... Just to think about, I guess...

Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:27 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the problem comes from having to sit in a chair all day long. If there was more active teaching like getting the kids up out of their seats to do task and problems then i dont think we would have as many cases of ADD/ADHD. THe teachers seem to give them med. the first time a child gets wild anymore and maybe they are just high strung that day. Iknow i have days where i can not sit still but that means i need to get up and do something different.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 8:57 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with you guys on ADD/ADHD. I think it can be very overrated and the easy way out to calm a child down. I have not been diagnosed with ADD but I think that I would probably be a good canadite. Yall are right I think we should provide an enviroment where the students cannot loose their attention and keep a wide variety in the classroom. I do think there is a thing called ADD/ADHD though. I have friends that are two different people on aderol and they say that it has improved their learning in many ways. Some students do have a psychological problem that sometimes may lead to medicines to help ease their troubles. My mom is a teacher and she always said that she could never convince some parents that their child does have a problem. I think as teacher we should do all we can before putting a child on medicine but I do think that sometimes it might be the only solution.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 12:15 pm
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]