View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 4:43 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Testing/Grading 
All-star
All-star

This can kind of interlap with Molly's post but I was thinking after class how we were all like "no grades, no tests" but right now how can we avoid that when everything in our life is based on testing. I mean you take tests before you enter elementary school, you take tests when you get out of school, you take tests to get your drivers lisence, you take tests to get into college, you take tests to get out of college. It seems testing is the only thing that we know can bring results that are reliable, so since everyone is so "against" the way our system works what are the other answers? B.c in some way we are tested everyday of our life, not just in the school system!!

<3 Jennie Ingram

Wed Apr 16, 2003 1:48 pm
All-star
All-star

I totally agree that everything in our lives is basically based on some kind of test. I don't really have an answer for your question. I never really thought I would have to worry about this too much b/c I'm wanting to teach kindergarten. But really, there is just as much testing there these days. The only idea I can really give is that maybe we should focus a lot more on comprehension than details. Shouldn't it be much more important for a child to get the theme of a book than the names of every character?

Wed Apr 16, 2003 10:16 pm
All-star
All-star

Jennie, I was totally talking about this over Easter with some friends at church. We all agreed that most people have a huge fear of taking tests and that only a slim number of the population can take tests on any given day and succeed at them. WE tried to talk about remedies for this test anxiety issue, but at the "Sunrise Service" the conversation didn't get that deep :o . The only remedy we thought of was to create tests that evaluate the material and are open-ended enough to incorporate the student's personal feelings. But as I said, it was really early when we were talking about it. :wink:

Tue Apr 22, 2003 8:24 pm
All-star
All-star

Like you said testing is evident in everyone's life, but at times i think testing needs to be present. If there were no tests whatelse would we measure one's progress with? However, I do agree that testing can be over used, but can be useful in the same respect.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 11:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i also agree that testing is way overused. You have to have ways to measure what the students have learned. I do think that testing shouldn't be the only way to get a grade. Some students are just bad test takers (ME). I just feel that there are other ways to know whether the child is learning the material rather than basing it solely on tests.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:33 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]