View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 6:38 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Roast analogy 
All-star
All-star

I know class got a little intense yesterday-well, for me-sorry, I can be really emotional. But I feel our society can always improve. I also feel that education should constantly change. That is the nature of things. Nothing stays the same. Sometimes, I just feel that there are so many people who just want things to stay the same because there appears to be no answer. I was watching some sitcom the other night and I heard this story which reminded me that we should never do something just because that is the way it has always be done. We should constantly question- that's how we get the answers. ---- A daughter asks her mother, "Why do you always cut the end piece off of your roast?" The mother replies, "That's the way my mother always did it." So, the daughter goes to her grandmother and says, "Grandma, why do you cut the end piece off your roast?" Grandma replies, "That's the way my mother always did it." Finally, the daughter goes to her great-grandmother and asks, "Nana, why do you cut the end piece of your roast? Mom and Grandmother both say it is because that's the way their mother did it." Nana laughs and says, "So it would fit into my pan."

Wed Apr 16, 2003 5:15 pm
All-star
All-star

Kelli, I think it was very brave of you to give your imput in class, knowing it is something that very personally and emotionally affects you. I completely agree with what you were saying. I also think your "roast analogy" was really neat and there are so many changes that need to be made in our current educational system!

Wed Apr 16, 2003 11:23 pm
All-star
All-star

Things are not going to change unless we get to the root of the problem and really HELP the problem. You're right, so many things get brushed aside because there is no immediate answer. People just want to ignore important situations because they aren't willing to take the time to understand it and fix it. If a kid is acting up in class there is a reason. Sometimes it is so easy just to punish the kid over and over again. If you really think about it, this is not fixing anything. Maybe more teachers should take the time to work with the child and figure out what is causing such actions. I know this method may not work all the time, but it could be the solution to many typical classroom behavior problems.

Thu Apr 17, 2003 2:13 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]