View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 11:00 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Toys in school? 
All-star
All-star

This is mostly directed toward the elementary teachers but anyone can answer. What would you do with a student who brought their favortive stuffed animal or toy to class everyday? I know this is a little weird but when i was in elementary school some girl brought her baby doll everyday and said that she could not make it at school without it. The teacher finally got her to let it go and keep it at the back of the room but other kids also tried to start bringing their toys. What would you do in a situation like this?

Wed Apr 23, 2003 9:41 am
All-star
All-star

Hum..this is a hard one. I think it first depends on the grade level. Kindergarten might be ok for the first couple of months of school so they can feel more comfortable in the classroom. Though I think after that there needs to put a stop to toys in the class. Maybe at naptime for K-1 grade only. It needs to be made clear that you have to leave all toys at home or they will be kept until they leave school. Maybe the teacher could think of alternate solutions other than a toy. Maybe you could get a child who was attached to their doll focused on a book about a doll or something of that sort. I just think that their has to be some sort of line between school and toys brought from home. It is not helping the child learn anymore than without it.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:37 pm
All-star
All-star

That is a good question! I hope to teach K or 1st. If i was in a kindergarten classroom i think i would allow them to bring something new everyweek just for naptime in hopes they could rotate and be flexible. Maybe by giving the idea of something new each week they would focus more of their time to looking for something new and exciting, and be more apt to flow with change in their life. Maybe im totally off base, but i think i would at least give it a shot.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:25 pm
All-star
All-star

I really want to teach kindergarten, so this is an issue that I definitely would have to consider. I agree that at this age level, a toy at nap time would probably be acceptable. I would think you would need to set guidelines, though. I would probably send home a letter to the parents and also tell the children in class that they could bring only one toy and could only have it out during designated times. As long as they abided by the rules, I don't think I'd have a problem with it. Now, at higher grades, the circumstances might be different. I would like to hear thoughts on that from people who are planning on teaching higher grades.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:13 am
All-star
All-star

I don't think I would mind too much if the toy wasn't causing any distractions. Sometimes kids feel more comfortable with different things and I'd be willing to work something out if it helped the student. :)

Sun May 04, 2003 10:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the only concern I would have is the fact that all the kids will want to start bringing toys everyday and playing with them at inappropriate times. Maybe if we had them put them in a box at the first of the day, we could assign them a time during our class or near the end of the day in which they could play with their toys. Also, some kids may not be able to afford as nice of toys as others and it may cause them to isolate from the other students.

Sat May 10, 2003 7:13 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]