View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 3:37 am

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 What do you think about Homeschooling? 
All-star
All-star

What is yalls feelings on homeschooling? Do you think it is a well rounded education for children or do you think that the students miss out on public/private schooling? I have always wondered if homeschooling was the best way to educate or not. I have never been homeschooled or really been around anyone who has although I have not heard many negative or positive things about it. What do you think? :D

Wed Apr 23, 2003 1:40 pm
All-star
All-star

i think it robs children of the social aspect of school that they need. when i was in 11th grade, there was a homeschooled kid who joined us at my high school....he didn't know what to do, he was socially dead, and subsequently was eaten alive by the people who thrive on picking on the weak to make themselves look good. his grades were bad, even though he was a bright kid. he seemed to have no idea of how to handle being around other people, which is something you learn in public school. how are you supposed to function in everyday life without that?

when i become a parent, my children are definitely going to public schools, so that they can be immersed in diversity for one thing. i'm not going to pull them out just because i don't think the education is of the highest quality, instead, i am going to give them the supplemental education they need to excel. maybe i'll even start some kind of program to do that for other kids.

Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:17 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

I think like anything else homeschooling can be a good thing if used in a good way. I do think there is a danger that students do not have good social skills also sometimes students depend on their parents too much. However, I have seen parents use it in a good way. My mother took my sister out of school for a few years and was able to help her bring up her grades in a few areas that she had previously struggled with. My sister was still involved in sports, 4-H and our church. She had lots of opportunities to be in a social setting. I have also seen this with other families. Their kids get a good education but are still really involved in their community. (often more that they would if in school) Anyway, I have seen it done well and also done with some disadvantages.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:32 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think home schooling is good in early school years. However, in late middle school and high school a sense of being a part of society needs to be developed. The wayt this needs to be done is public school. sheltering kids is not the best education, they need to learn more thn home life the need to learn real life.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 12:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I have 4 cousins living in Virginia who are homeschooled and to me, I think it is good in a sense, but overall I would not recommend it. I agree that kids need that social interaction which they learn in school. I would love to research some statistics of how well those kids cope once put into a public school. The benefit of this however, is the kids do get more time and attention devoted to their every need. My cousins are very proper and for right now they seem to be ahead of their peers, but i wonder how long that will last. I worry about their parents abilities as teachers. What happens when they are no longer qualified for higher education? School is more than just learning facts, it has helped shape us into who we are whether we realize it or not. Most of our first time friends that we met on the first day have brought us to this point in our life.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:12 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that homeschooling definatly has its positives and negatives. I think that it is a wonderful example of parent choice in our nation, and children often do very well who have been homeschooled. I think that there are also many negative aspects to being homeschooled. For example, students who have special talents in music, art, or physical ability may not be able to explore those talents. Overall, I think that homeschooling has it's pro's and con's but it definatly depends on individual circumstances that are up to parents to decide.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I do not think homeschooling is the way to go at all. Like many of you have already written, this takes away the social aspect of school. I know that I learned as much, if not more so, about people and socialization as I did about academics in public school. Plus, public school represents what is out there in the world. Kids need to be exposed to that, or it will blow their minds when they are grown up. I'm sure there are success stories of homeschooled children, just like anything else. However, I really am against it. I would not homeschool my children nor would I recommend it.

Sat Apr 26, 2003 1:03 pm
All-star
All-star

I think homeschooling is not good. I think that kids miss out on the social aspect of public schools or other schools. Also they ned to be away from mom more than the time it takes to use the bathroom.

Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:18 pm
All-star
All-star

I believe that there are some children who are done a great disservice when schooled at home, but I am completely supportive of the idea of homeschooling, and would do it for my own children if the schools were not good enough. Homeschooling has come a long way and in many communities, including Boone, there are cooperatives where homeschooled children meet with others for socializing and where parents can share the task of education, ulitizing their talents and others'. For example, a parent who is talented in art or music might teach other kids besides their own, while the other parent teaches science. The number resources (workbooks, textbooks, lesson planning) for parents to use have also increased. Homeschooling allows for a very individualized instruction from the person that best knows how their child learns, and gives the potential for a very enriching educational experience. Imagine field trips every week! There was a very interesting article in Newsweek about homeschooling almost 2 years ago if anyone is intersted in the topic.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:25 pm
All-star
All-star

A few semesters ago I did a small project on homeschooling. I was interested in this way of teaching and learning and I found out a lot about it. There is a huge issue on homeschooling about the fact that people think the kids lack social skills. This is a valid concern, however, there are several ways to address this issue. Many people who decide to homeschool their children are very aware of their children's socialization. In fact, ASU has PE courses in which kids who are homeschooled take part. Many children go to summer camps and take part in a variety of activities that subject them to other kids as well as diversity. I think it is totally up to the individual homeschooling their children as far as how effective the schooling becomes. I have known some really secluded homeschooled kids who didn't have many friends and very little socialization skills. However, some of the brightest, well rounded kids I've met have been or are in the process of homeschooling. :)

Tue Apr 29, 2003 8:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I think homeschooling CAN be beneficial but not necessarily the best avenue. I firmly believe in the public school system seeing as i have attending public school since elementary school. Parents can not possibly provide the education acquired at a public school nor can they provide the social aspect needed for a well-rounded education.
This is how i feel: If you Feel you are WELL qualified to teach your children, then by all means. But do not look down on me for being a public school teacher and blame the public schools for corrupting the students. As long as you don't look down on me, i will not express to you how much i dislike the idea. The idea is to respect both sides even if you do not agree.

Thu Jan 22, 2004 10:10 pm
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]