View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 5:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Why do you want to teach? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I know we have discussed before what we look forward to and what we are dreading the most about teaching, but what i was wondering was why you guys decided to start teaching in the first place. I have always liked kids and have been good with them but i wasn't really sure if teaching was what i wanted to do. I started out at UNCG as a nursing major. As the year went on i kept thinking about how i just felt like i was supposed to teach and so i transferred and changed my major. I feel much happier and i can actually picture myself as being a teacher!

Wed Apr 23, 2003 2:25 pm
All-star
All-star

i want to teach because (and this might be a big release, so be ready) i grew up in a home that no one should have been allowed to inhabit. no heat, no ac, holes in the floors and walls, rodents and reptiles, an open space where a sliding glass door used to be, and a family income of roughly 400 dollars if we were lucky. my mom died when i was 11, and my dad when i was 14; i've been raised by my sister since i was 11, because my dad was a deadbeat.

soooooo, the point of all this is that without my teachers and guidance counselors i have no idea where i would be right now, certainly not in a class with any of you. my teachers made sure i knew that i had a future, and that i was not going to drop out of school to get a job and support my family like i could have. and that's what i want to do for other students, i want to be the person that makes their lives worth living, the person that gives them a future in spite of all the crap that goes on in this world.

hope this made sense and didn't seem neurotic or depressing :oops:

Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:13 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

Wow, Kirk... That is a really amazing thing to be able to tell our class and I admire you for it. That is one of the most honorable reasons I have ever heard for wanting to be a teacher- to emulate and honor those who helped you. Just wow.

Anyway, I don't really have a response to this question that is new because I put that response in Laura's "Worst Teacher" thread... that's all...

Wed Apr 23, 2003 5:46 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]