View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Mon Mar 18, 2024 10:11 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 drama in school 
All-star
All-star

as some of you may know, i am a theatre education major...which means i will be available to teach theatre in any grade K-12 when i graduate. i was wondering what experiences any of you had in school with theatre...was it respected? was it looked at as a joke class? did it have any relevance to other subjects? anything you can say about it.

what i want to do when i teach is make my theatre class interwoven with every other subject in the school, meaning i would be teaching units that use science, math, history, english, foreign languages, every subject in the school, so that i can help students do better in their other classes, and establish the importance of my program so that it would not be cut if the budget were to decrease. also, i think that disruptions, violence, and all of the other problems that ruin the public school systems can, in part, be attributed to a lack of empathy in the students. theatre teachers people to put themselves in the roles of someone quite different from themselves, do you guys think that this can be a good way of curbing these disruptions?

Wed Apr 23, 2003 3:02 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I love theatre! I was an active member in all of the plays in my high school. i think the theatre program is important to have at every school. I will admit though, it wasn't the "cool" thing to be in. Our program didn't get much support and drama kids were seen as "weirdos". Despite what everyone thought i loved my drama classes and the whole program. Our plays were good even though no one came to see them. I hope you have fun with it, Kirk.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:20 am
All-star
All-star

I took the drama for teachers class here at ASU and learned a lot. I do think that it is a good tool for students to express themselves and that they can learn how to empathize with other people's feelings. I think it is great that you want to integrate it with other subjects. I think that will make drama more meaningful. It will be a great tool for students who struggle in the classroom. I hope your drama class never gets cut! 8)

Thu Apr 24, 2003 9:17 am
All-star
All-star

I did not see any theatre classes until i got to a community college. I think it is a shame too! Not saying I would be a great drama student, but its definitely a new option. In high school, plays were carried out by signing up and auditioning. That may be a good answer, but only the rich popular kids were actually picked. I do think you have a neat idea that kids would be interested in. Good Luck!

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:18 pm
All-star
All-star

Kirk, I don't know if you have to take this or possibly already have, but I am taking THR 3856 right now. That's Creative Drama, and we pretty much do exactly what you were describing. We find ways to integrate drama into the other subject areas. We address every grade level, though I think elementary is more emphasized. It's a pretty good class, even for someone like me, who has no dramatic talent at all. As for my experiences, I remember having a drama class for about a year or two in elementary school. I don't remember a lot about it, but it was fun. It was a nice break from sitting at a desk. Plus, drama does teach a lot about personalities, emotions, etc. Good luck with it, and I think you have a great plan! :lol:

Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:07 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]