View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 12:28 am

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 statistics 
All-star
All-star

I was just wondering what you guys thought about the discussion this morning. Do you think there is a possibilty, or fear for that matter that maybe you will get into teaching and discover it isnt for you?

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that the problem with the statistics about teacher turn-over rates is that it fails to tell which people are going back to school or going on to jobs that are still involved in public education. I think that it's important for new teachers to give the profession enough of a chance, and give themselves enough of a chance. I think you have to have tough skin to be a teacher, and you should definatly not give up on the profession when you have a bad experience, or if the first few years are hard. I think that it's very important for teachers to have a support system in place to help share ideas and shed tears. Hopefully with support systems in place, teachers will feel more able stick with their profession.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 7:15 pm
All-star
All-star

i like christine's comments about how they fail to tell you what happens to the teachers, we only hear the big numbers about those who walk away from the profession. that's an idea that i honestly had not thought of--makes me feel a little more hopeful, and would be nice as an afterthought included with the stats so that some people do not feel so negative about what they are getting into.

Fri Apr 25, 2003 9:59 am
All-star
All-star

i have already begun to feel like being an educator really is not what i want to do with my life. i'll have to do it for four years to repay my teaching fellows scholarship, but after that i don't know. part of it is that i really have not enjoyed any of the classroom experience i have been given through education classes and theatre classes. but i know that these experiences are not the way a real classroom is, because when i go in there i don't know the students and they don't know me...there is no reason for us to respect each other i guess.

if i do stick with teaching it probably will be at the college level, which means i have to go get some professional experience as an actor first. so after those four years i will probably go audition for things and hopefully get some good jobs. this will serve me well even if i do decide to come back to teaching high school.

Sat Apr 26, 2003 10:51 am
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

I have always wanted to serve others and the planet in my life, and teaching is an excellent way to do just that. It is truly a privilege to be involved in the raising of children and the rewards of seeing their little faces light up when learning is exciting or establishing those deep connections is what makes it all worthwhile. I think it will be an amazing experience. However, I am always growing and chianging and my intersets do as well. This is not something that I am fearful of, but consider it a natural and welcomed process. I have thought about other things I'd like to do in life, and at his time think I will go back to school at some point to study law. But, who knows? I could get hooked on teaching.

Sat May 03, 2003 1:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Before pursuing teaching, I worked as a mechanic on a construction crew at a Phosphate mine in eastern NC (PCS Phosphate). It was a very good paying job (I don't talk about $$ much, but my pay was in the $20 an hour range), but the dangers associated with it were just not worth it. I saw one man be decapitated by a high powered water pressure washer, and saw another fall 10 stories to land and shatter his legs. Also, I had to work alot of 8pm to 8 am and this really was bad. You have no life working those hours, except work. These things, along with bad bosses, and horrible helpers (most people who did this kind of work were less desirable because your average person would not do these things because of the danger aspect) made my decisionto pursue teaching easier. All of these things together helped me with my decision to become a teacher (the fact that I completed my degree in Business Ed. before starting at PCS was a factor too), and just the idea that I could make a difference in one kids life would make it all worth while. Have a good day.
Don Vosburgh

Sun May 04, 2003 10:24 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]