View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:17 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 comments in class 
All-star
All-star

i kind of got cut off at the end of class, and i felt like i was left sounding like a racist or something. what i was saying was that reverse-discrimination does not exist, it is not something that levels the playing field when it comes to opportunites for different races. i'm not syaing this as a defensive white person, but i have seen instances when someone who was more than qualified for a job or a school did not get accepted, because the spot went to a minority who was less qualified for the sake of diversity.

making things equal for everyone cannot be accomplished by adding more discrimination into the picture. what happens if one group of people get break after break, and eventually become the group in power? then their unjust privileges have been promoted and instilled to a degree much the same as white people possess today. it is a never ending cycle that is perpetuated by ideas such as "reverse discrimination." the way to handle any problem is to attack it at the source: the idea of any kind of benefit or harm brought on by skin color, sex, etc is wrong and must be removed from society.

Thu Apr 24, 2003 4:28 pm
Profile ICQ YIM
All-star
All-star

kirk, i agree with you. i do not believe that reverse discrimination exists either. i think everyone in our class can understand exactly what you're talking about. when applying to college, when applying to jobs, most of us have either experienced it personally or know of someone that it happened to, that they were turned down even though they were more than qualified in order to give the position to someone in a minority. it happens, it is a vicious cycle. it seems like another one of those real world problems that would take a long time to fix. like most other issues, the first step is making people aware of the fact that it exists.

Fri Apr 25, 2003 10:07 am
All-star
All-star

I understand Kirk's arguement that essentially affirmitive action perpetuates discrimination, but I do not think the hypothetical power trade is even reasonable rhetoric. It will be a long time before before blacks could even hope of becoming a dominant race in the United States. For three hundred years our country systematically attempted to destroy a whole race of people. We removed them from their homeland, stripped them of their humanity, and continued dilligently through the Civil Rights Movement. Things are much better, but we must not forget that inequalities still exist, easily demonstrated statistically. Affirmative Action is not perfect, I wish we had a better solution, but at the moment I do no think that we do. Minorities should be given more opportunity to help un do some of the irreprehensible damage. I think its a small price to pay.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:47 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]