View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Mar 19, 2024 2:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Bilingual students 
All-star
All-star

a question about those kids who speak english as their second language. Do you think they should be taught both their language and english or just be submerged into only the english language where they will forget most of their first language espically for the smaller kids? Is it better to sacrifice curriculum to teach only english or teach curriculum in the native language while slowly learning english?

Sat Apr 26, 2003 8:25 pm
All-star
All-star

It would be nice to think that we could have the time, ability, and resources to teach bilingual students in both English and their native language. But I don't think that is very realistic. I would hate for them to lose their own language. However, I think that since they are in an American school, they are going to have to learn the English language in order to communicate and learn. Otherwise, we'll spend all of our time learning new languages. I know that seems harsh, but I think sometimes we just have to do the best we can.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 9:18 am
All-star
All-star

I think its important to make students feel comfortable with their native language and continue to encourage them to use their native language. I think that as teachers we should be concious of those students in our classes who speak other languages and try to learn a few words to then teach the class. I think that students should definatly learn English in order to suceed in school, but they should not be discouraged from still using their native language.

Sun Apr 27, 2003 1:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]