View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:33 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 idea from the Gatto article 
All-star
All-star

I thought that John Gatto had a great idea in his essay. It's located on page 5, bout middle of the page, in the third paragraph down. He talks about how he feels that the best way schools to improve is to take the control away from the state and national governments and localize the control into the individual systems. This seems like an outstanding idea, and I hope that this idea would/could be adopted by NC.
Many times people in legislative positions who seem to make a lot of decisions about how students should perform don't have very much classroom experience. It seems hard for me to swallow that someone who does kow what is going on in the classroom could make a decision that effects the welfare of a student.
Gatto wanted local systems to adapt to the individual needs of the students. Great idea!!!! This seems like the most inclusive way to help all students with their individual "shortcomings". However, I'm sure this style of teaching and learning would require very special teachers and loyal students. I think that was the essence of the Gatto article, for schools to teach their students, instead of the state and national governments "spoon-feeding" them.

Fri Jan 17, 2003 12:34 pm
All-star
All-star

Taking control away from the state and national government and localizing the control to the individual system IS a good idea for improvement!! I agree with you here. But we all know the state and national government would fight against this idea since they feel they are the "top dogs" and "run stuff". It would be so much easier if we did have people in the administrative department and government that actually cared about students and their schooling. I think a push for this could solve a lot of problems.

<3 Jennie Ingram

Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:40 pm
Site Admin

Schools are actually "locally controlled"; the state and national mandates are relatively new additions (I mean in the last few years, no longer). The state attention, and now national attention, focused on testing, has come about in part because of the huge disparities in student learning from county to county, and the huge disparities in per pupil expenditure from county to county and state to state. So there are some large ironies in our dilemma.

Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:41 pm
Profile WWW
All-star
All-star

Aaron is on the right track, weary of big government and the further mandation of our schools and our teachers. However, by relying solely on local funds and administration of those funds a large and ever present problem begins to emrge. Similary to affirmative action, national testing was developed to create equal educational opportunities. Schools are largely funded by property taxes, meaning rich kids go to rich schools, and impoverished children attend impoverished schools in their own neighborhoods. By creating such mandates school systems are required to ensure a "good" education for all children in the public school system. As with the issue of affirmative action there are obvious and serious flaws to the system. I don't agree with things as they are, but I do not yet have any better answers, even for a liberal.

Tue Jan 21, 2003 1:06 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]