View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:36 pm

Reply to topic  [ 14 posts ] 
 Teaching Like You Were Taught 
All-star
All-star

The Gatto article mentioned that reforms needed to be made in the education world. However, in several of my classes, I've learned that maybe 4 out of 5 new educators will revert back to the way they were taught. If this is true, teacher education seems like a huge never-ending circle. What does everybody think about this?

Thu Jan 16, 2003 7:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Julie, I hope I do not teach like I was taught. My taechers were dry and did not seem to care, this is one of the reasons I wanted to become a teacher. However, with that said I do believe that new teachers will try to copy some of their teachers untill they learn what strategies work for them. I do hope that the circle of non-caring teachers can be broken without sacrificing the ones who do care.

Fri Jan 17, 2003 5:38 pm
All-star
All-star

Julie and Hank,
I think that we all feel the stress of how to break out of the vicious cycle of teaching how you were taught. I think that we as teacher candidates need to focus on the teachers that we had who "DID" seem to care and who did show an honest appreciation for the students and try our best to mimic them. We've all had good teachers and not-so good teachers as well; we have to pick and choose the qualities from all of our good teachers and apply those qualitites to our own classrooms. my two cents :)

Mon Jan 20, 2003 3:15 pm
All-star
All-star

It's def. true that teachers seem to fall into this "vicious" cycle of teaching they way they have been shaped and molded to. And it seems as if in a lot of my teaching classes the topic of "making a difference" is always brought up with lots of strong feelings behind it. We talk of change and not falling into our past teacher's footsteps, but talk doesn't bring about change. So I'm wondering as well how we can make a difference in this pattern and better educate our children. Don't you sit and wonder if the teachers today were once in our very seats asking the same questions and if so why they fell into the cycle??? :?: :? [/img][/quote]

<3 Jennie Ingram

Mon Jan 20, 2003 5:33 pm
All-star
All-star

I think that we will always have a tendancy to revert back to how we have been taught but hopefully we can weed out the bad things and keep the good. I know I have had some good teachers and some bad ones. The ones that really influenced me were the good teachers. They are my role models. :P

Mon Jan 20, 2003 10:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with some of the ideas presented in the other replies. When we become teachers we will teach certain things just like we were taught. Whether we liked a teacher or not, we are in a way, a product of their teaching style. Now in some instances, when a teacher really struggled to teach us an idea, we may use their "unsuccessful" teaching style and revise it in order to help our students learn. I think that both ways will probably be a part of our teaching, it will depend on how we feel that we learned best. Remember though, just because we learned best a certain way, doesn't mean our students will be able to learn that way. Later 8)

Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:07 am
All-star
All-star

It's funny- but I heard the exact thing this morning Julie! My PE teacher said that it's sad- Within a few years, many teachers loose sight of their four years in higher education, and fall back to their previous thirteen years of learning from their teachers. I'll be in my block next semester, so I'm a little behind, but honestly-- I haven't really learned a whole lot about teaching anyway yet... But I'd like to think that I will take what ideas that I have with me I will use in my classroom. Wonder why teachers revert back to past experience besides the fact that we observed teaching for 13 years prior to college?

Tue Jan 21, 2003 7:54 pm
All-star
All-star

that is so sad, isn't it?...that we might possibly become the former teachers that we all hated...haha. heck no! i imagine that that may be true for many teachers--particularly those who have lost heart, or maybe who have found that some of their original ideas aren't working... i know that for myself, my very best teachers were my english and art teachers--i think that is exactly what has drawn me into those two fields (i plan on teaching both subjects!!! :P ). i hope i don't lose heart and revert to the failed strategies of many of my own former teachers--at this point i'm just hoping the inspiration brought on by the good ones will get me through...

Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:09 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm going to have to agree on this topic as well. I find myself sitting in all of my education classes thinking about my teachers in elementary school. Their styles of teaching, punishment, the way the class was set up etc. We are told that we learn from our elders and that is what has happened throughout our school days. We have picked up on our teachers good and bad habits. I personally have had a great experience with elementary school teachers. Some were definitly better than others but I think I still have alot of great ideas still in my mind. It is funny that in college now learning about the "right" ways to teach sure do go against some of the ways my teachers taught. How do we know who is right and which is the "best" way to teach? :?

Tue Jan 21, 2003 10:25 pm
All-star
All-star

That is sad that teachers revert to the ways that they were taught. In some ways it is good, for those that have excellent and diverse experience with their former teachers. Otherwise, it shows their lack of originality for those that lean back on their poor experiences. Obviously, they should reconsider their chosen profession since they are in control of about twenty five children's future each year.

Thu Jan 23, 2003 12:11 pm
All-star
All-star

The agree that most teachers do get into teaching and start to fall back on the way they were taught for the many years that they were in the schools. I think that this happens on some occasions because we get scared or intimidated by our students and fall back on the teachers methods that we grew up with. It can be scary to try and rely on what we are being taught now about teaching and how to do it when we were in school for 13 years or so, watching how our teachers handle things their way. Hopefully all of us will not fall back into the cycle of teaching and will become the new type teachers that we need.

Fri Jan 24, 2003 11:13 am
All-star
All-star

I'm a little late to this discussion,(and the forum for that matter) but I think it's a good one. I think that there is definatly a need to break the cycle of bad teaching. I think that there is a certain resistance to change in the field of education, sometimes, because teachers get lazy in finding new ways to reach children. After the first couple of years, teachers get their lesson plans hammered out and just keep using the same ones. I think that if teachers would remain active in their education, through reading about new ways to teach, going to seminars and just keeping in touch with teachers across the country, better things would happen in the classroom. Plus, teachers would escape from the boredom of teaching the same stuff year after year. Let's hope that we can all go out there and stay excited about teaching, and enthusiastic about the impacts we can have on children.

Sat Jan 25, 2003 6:51 pm
All-star
All-star

I think the idea of teaching like you were taught will always play a huge role in the teachers that we become. However, I believe that we take with us our opinions of the teachers that we have had, both good and bad. I know that I will always remember the best teachers that I have had- the ones that made learning fun and exciting. But, I will also remember the ones that made it tedious, dry, and very very boring. I think that we should all recall our past experiences and draw on them in the best possible ways. We can take the ones that taught us a lot, analyze why we enjoyed them and try to do the same things in our teaching. We should also recall the worse teachers, analyze what they did poorly that turneds us off from their teaching style and improve upon it to form our own improved methods.

Sun Jan 26, 2003 4:44 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel very lucky that my elementary experience is probably what saved me from repeating the same mistakes as my parents. My father quit highschool in the ninth grade and my mother did graduate, however, she married my father when she was sixteen and never went to college. My teachers were all very creative in their teaching and didn't resort to worksheets all of the time. I feel that some teachers may resort to the way they were taught because it is what feels safe to them. They probably were able to perform well being taught the way they were. Other teachers resort to what they were taught because it is much easier to teach children as a group than to individually assess them and manipulate their lessons to fit each child's learning style.-kelli

Thu Jan 30, 2003 7:28 pm
Reply to topic   [ 14 posts ]