View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Wasnt expecting that... 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Lynching postcards... oh my

I stopped looking about the 5th picture. A word of warning goes to all those who have not checked out the first link.

How very creepy!!

Thu Jan 13, 2005 10:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The pictures with the crowds are even more disturbing to me. I can't imagine being a spectator at something like that. Quite a few are listed as being in North Carolina.

Sat Jan 15, 2005 2:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had to stop looking myself. I cannot believe that people had to endure that kind of pain and humiliation. What is even worse is that yes, people crowded around to watch and cheer such horror on. It really made me stop and appreciate how far we have come and yet see how far we still need to go in this world. Wow.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:34 am
All-star
All-star

I look through the first section and read all the captions. The pictures are a reminder to me of what our society use to be. It also made me wonder if we had really changed that much. After 9-11, a lot of Muslims suffered from prejudiced behavior. We need to remember that the actions of a few people are not the belief of all members. I see this problem in the school I work at and experienced when I was in high school. The discrimination comes when a teacher says, "You're John Boy's sister, aren't you?" Then the teacher expects the same type of behavior from them - good or bad. It's not as drastic as hanging but it does bind them.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I find this part of our history to be the most disturbing. The only question I ask is how did the minority groups (African American, italian, hispanics) felt knowing that if they spoke out about the lynchings, or even protested for justice against the mobs that did these horrible acts of evil what would happen to them. The past, we all need to learn from, the acts of brutality even in a mob a person should be morally, ethically, and justly resonsible for. Some of the men hanged, did not commit crimes, the others were pulled out of their jail cells before given a trial. I ask, would we want the same justice dealt to us?

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:13 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Looking at these photos brought tears to my eyes, especially when I read the names of the people being lynched. Just to see a picture of a person being lynched is one thing, however to have a name to go along with that picture is totally different, and more emotional. These photos are extremely disturbing, although I think that they are very necessary in order to show us how far our country has come, and how ways of life have changed. I think it is also necessary to face our past and not ignore it. These pictures are real and the acts really happened, and that should not be forgotten but learned from.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:21 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought those postcards were a sad reminder of how people used to be as well as how history really hasn't changed that much since then. Even though the lynching acts, such as the ones the postcards displayed, are not seen today. The hatred is still there. The tension between different races is still there. I believe that we need to truly work on moving past such hostility and learn from our history. But will there ever truly be a time when everyone is seen as equal and treated equally? I believe that it is a nice thought and I would love to see it happen, but I am not sure that it will happen in my life time.

Ashley Marley

Sat Jan 22, 2005 6:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Ashley on this one. The postcards really reminded me of what our society used to be and how far it has came. But, will there ever be a time when everyone in society is seen equally or treated equally? Sadly, I don't see that happening in my lifetime. Hopefully, Im wrong.

Mon Jan 24, 2005 1:31 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]