View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 multicultural education 

Homeschooling
Good Idea? 33%  33%  [ 3 ]
Bad Idea? 67%  67%  [ 6 ]
Total votes : 9

multicultural education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Multicultural Education! It seems like I've heard this term 5001 times just this week. I can't help but think about it because it's discussed in every class that I have this semester. Dr. Clark asked in our seminar Wednesday, "What is so important about Multicultural Education that we have to have an entire class on it?" It seems to be the topic of the week, so I decided to see what you guys thought of the concept. In my opinion it is very important that we learn about the variety of ways in which the schools can take account of cultural differences among students because lets face it, it is out there and it is an issue that we as future educators are going to have to face. Do you guys have any positive ideas to share about how you are going to accommodate for cultural differences in your classrooms?

Summer

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Sun Jan 16, 2005 12:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that multiculural education is necessary because we encounter many different cultures every day. Students need to be aware of the differences but that those differences do not make someone unworthy of respect. I believe that racism develops from a misunderstanding of another culture and as future educators, we can provide the cultural knowledge that makes students more accepting of other people.

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:08 pm

Multicultural education is a fact of life in most school settings today. The problem seems to be as Summer pointed out that it is discussed over and over but very little is done in the way of teaching specific skills to deal with the muticultural classroom.
I might add that some psychologists and text book writers have tons of ideas about community building games, learning tasks and group activities etc. but let's be real. With all that is now required of teachers now especially in the area assessments and testing, there is barely time to get the curriculum in much less spending valuable class time on "sensitivity issues".
Before anyone blasts me for being to harsh, I am not saying that it is not our job as teachers to address multicultural issues, but we need to have a pocket full of "in the heat of the moment" responses and tools to use as these issues arise naturally.
Am I making sense? What I am trying to say is that forced games and "I love you, you love me" activities are not real world. As I said previously, the tools we need to learn are those that we can put to use in every day situations that occur between students as well as between students and faculty. With these and our own sense that all students have a right to the best education possible, perhaps we will be more successful in creating these illusive "multicultural utopias".

Mon Jan 17, 2005 9:38 pm
All-star
All-star

I completely agree. I think that leading by example is an excellent way to foster acceptance in a classroom. Without even knowing it, many teachers say and do things that might make certain students feel uncomfortable. By being conscious of your words and actions, and how they might make certain students feel (angering them, or alienating them let's say) you're making that first step towards accepting them wholly. As Kirsta said, the forced "i love you, you love me" activities are a waste of precious time in the high school setting. However, by focusing on multicultural issues and diversity in whatever content area you are teaching, that "i love you, you love me" feeling should seep it's way through to the students.
but what do i know, right?
thanks for posting this topic. it's a good one.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 7:34 am
All-star
All-star

Multicultural Education is an important issue that we as humans as well as teachers must deal with in every day society. As America continually grows, more people from other ethnicities come in to the country. They bring children with them. Eventually the kids are sent to schools. We as teachers need to be prepared for them to enter the classroom. We should cover all area of culture. I feel this will help students to better understand the people when they enter the classroom as well as the world. Kids can take what they learn and hopefully share it with adults. We have to set a good example for the kids and be accepting of people, no mater what or who they are. We need to also teach that it does not matter that we are different; we should respect and appreciate each other no matter what.

Tue Jan 18, 2005 10:50 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Multicutural education is a huge deal. It is very important to all of us and it is something that I have dealt with personally by being a Resident Assisant here in the residence halls. You work with such a variety of people with different backgrounds, religions, and sexual preferences and in order to have a successful and happy floor you must meet everyone's needs while still remaining sensitive to them. It is so easy to become comfortable or make a comment that could easily offend a student. It is important that we become educated in diversity and all sorts of people so that we can be that much better as a teacher and example for our students. This is especially true in areas where there is still racism and then it is pertinent that we set the example and show that everyone is wonderful and that we can learn something from each person we meet.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 3:39 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

For a music educators stand point mutlicultural can mean learing to aquire a tast for certian world musics. You might not enjoy the sounds of an East Asan Gamalan but, you learn to respect to musician that spent his whole life to perfect his skills, and potray his music for the world to hear. I personal have learned equality through multicultral education. I respect people as themselves, and hold a high esteem to those willing to show us how they live.

Thu Jan 20, 2005 4:26 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm with Ty thinking that this sure will differ depending on what subject you are teaching. This would be easy to address in a social studies class, since students can be asked to present on the subjects they are most familiar with. In some grades, even word problems in math could be written to convey multiculturalism. But in other subjects it might take more energy and effort to actually talk about it, in addition to simply showing respect and concerns for varying religious observations, customs, etc.

Sat Jan 22, 2005 9:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]