View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Mar 29, 2024 10:45 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Implications of multiple strands of curricula 
All-star
All-star

When Dr. Turner was talking at the end of Thursday's class about the three strands of curriculum development that one of our articles had discussed, I was thinking about magnet schools. I have never had any personal experience with magnet schools, but I know many focus on one aspect of education or subject matter, such as arts, language, math or science. I'm wondering what the implications of this are for the students--to be able to choose to devote a large portion of their education to just one thing. And what are the implications of being able to choose this for multicultural education?

Sat Jan 22, 2005 3:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I attended a magnet school in Charlotte for four years. I did not apply for the school, however, because it was my home school. It was a magnet school in foreign languages. I do not believe that the label of being a magnet school meant anything in reference to the extent of knowledge gained in that school's subject area. It was just a label to attract more students to our school(in my opinion). I do know that our school was highly diversified due to the fact that foreign language was the highlight of our curriculum. As a student there I was not required to take a foreign language every year. I only had to take the two years to get into college. To this day I can not remember but a few words that I learned in my french class and to tell you the truth, I do not feel like I learned any more there than I would at any other school.

Wed Jan 26, 2005 5:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Magnet schools really don't seem to be moving along in my eyes. I see them as a fade that public schooling is going through. I think we should have a rounder more full course of study to better benifit the students leaving these schools. Why is it that our ancestors had to learn how to recite greek and latin, learn calculus, study arts, and musical instruments, and we just given miminal standards to get out of school and go to college? If we keep giving our students minimal standards just to get through, then what will happen to our society that asks for greater standards, tolerance of one an other and respect for ourselves?

Mon Jan 31, 2005 10:21 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that school curriculum should be as well-rounded as possible. In my educational psychology class we discussed Erikson's stages of psychosocial development. He says that adolescents (usually between the ages of twelve and eighteen) go through the stage where they determine the "role" they feel like they should play in society. To help them find that role we need to show and teach them as much as we possibly can in school so that they have that much more to base this important decision on.

Wed Feb 02, 2005 9:21 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]