View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:19 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Student Teaching 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Student teaching the last thing that we all do before we get in the classroom and all I every here is horror stories about it. Most of the people that I have spoken with tell how difficult and time consuming it is. I was just wondering if anyone had any suggestion on how we could make this transition easier and less streefull?

Thu Feb 03, 2005 4:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have heard the complete opposite about student teaching! My peers have told me that it is much easier than being a full-time student. I think that the best way to make the transition easier is to stay optimistic. Set Goals...if they fail, don't give up. Remember things we loved or hated in teachers and use that to our advantage. Also, just try to keep an open mind...nothing is ever quite as we perceive it once it actually happens. Lastly, we are learning just as the students are in our first classroom experience. Have fun and don't get discouraged...believe in what you know and share that love that we all ultimately have for teaching, after all, isn't that why you are here!? :wink:

Tue Feb 15, 2005 3:08 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with Laura - set goals and stay optimistic. I haven't quite decided all the details, but I think I'm going to approach student-teaching as a new job. I plan on committing a certain number of hours per week - just as if I were already a teacher. I know that just as when you're getting the hang of a new job and having to figure everything out, there will definitely be moments of ups and downs, trial and error. But I also think that if you can weather the mistakes and be persistent, it can only get easier and you can draw on past experiences to help with future decisions regarding teaching in the classroom.

Mon Mar 07, 2005 1:32 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

One of the most interesting pieces of advice I’ve received this year is to have a separate teaching life and a separate personal life. It’s a very interesting concept to think about actually. He said if I have a rough day at school, that I need to learn how to leave it there, and if I take it home and dwell on it, it will lead to that all too common “teacher burn-outâ€

Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:18 am
All-star
All-star

My only advice would be to make sure you are paired with a good mentor teacher. We all are going to need someone who will support us and give us tips on how to handle the real classroom.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 2:27 pm
All-star
All-star

Well, the stories I have heard have been mixed. The best advice I have got from both sides is to work with your cooperating teacher and work out a schedule before hand. That way you will know what to expect and know when you need to be prepared to start. I also heard to develop a good relationship with your cooperating teacher, no matter what.

Thu Mar 24, 2005 11:51 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have heard both good and bad stories about student teaching. I went to a PTMA meeting the other night that had a panel of three students currently involved with their student teaching. The main piece of advice they gave was to go to the school when that semester begins for that school. Even though you don't have to be there yet, it is good to go early to learn the school and really meet the teacher without the distractions of students.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:40 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]