View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 2:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 "class" experiment 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What did you guys think of the experiment Dr. Turner did in class with us as teachers in a particular social class? Personally being in the working class social status I realized the truth of it. I didn't realize what was going on as my group looked up our information to present, but as soon as the first group got to present I remember thinking.... "That's not fair at all!" I was furious that they got like ten minutes and they got materials to work with. My group didn't even get a piece of chalk, the only reason we had a piece was because the middle class group shared with us. I didn't even get a chance to speak when my group presented because after all the others said one sentence we had already wasted enough time.

This was a great experience to do with future teachers to make us aware of what is out there and how teachers of different social classes are treated and what they get as far as classroom supplies. It made me think about how I would classify the teachers that I have had in the past and how those that seemed to be of a higher economic status always had the privileges. It also made me think about the teachers that I’ve had in the past that maybe were not from a high economic status and how they were the teachers that felt the need to be in control of the classroom at all times. Maybe this is because they are not in control of anything else in their lives? Just a thought :?:

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Mon Feb 07, 2005 4:30 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that this experiment was great for future teachers. It really showed me that some teachers and schools have more resources than others. However, I took from this experiment that just because I might teach in one of the "lower" school settings doesn't mean that the overall education goes down. This simply means that I might have to work a little harder and be a little more creative in offering my students the best education I can.

I believe that every teacher should go through this type of experiment to not only see how a teacher would feel in the school setting but to also see how students feel when they compare themselves to students in both lower and higher schools.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 6:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely agree with Matt. All teachers should have to go through the same type of experiment that we went through in class. I thought it was very interesting to see the extreme changes between the socio-economic status levels. I once thought that no matter where a school stood in SES levels, teachers would not confirm their teaching beliefs in how they should teach, but I was wrong. Now, I am sure there are several exceptions to the general statement I just made, but when I was forced outside the box to look in, I could tell the differences in teachers in the different schools that I attended. So, I am glad that I was a part of the experiment. Now, I will know what to look for and how not to confirm my teaching beliefs to the others who fell into the categories we talked about in class.

Mon Feb 07, 2005 8:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The experiment was an eye-opening one for me. I never realized who different schools could be until last class. I understand that some systems have more money than other but it never really hits you until you see the facts. :? WOW!! All teachers should have to get some range of social class education before going into the teaching profession.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 3:09 am
All-star
All-star

I totally agree. A person can never realize that this is being done until they go through an experiment like this one. :shock: I look back on my elementary days and see how this was done in a small aspect, compared to what was done during the experiment.
I think this helps for us future teachers to think and realize that we do not want to be like this and to be able to take steps so it does not occur in our classroom.
I totally agree that all teachers/future teachers should have to go through an experiment like this. I feel it will shape them for the future in the classroom.

Tue Feb 08, 2005 5:19 pm
All-star
All-star

In reading what each of you put, I felt like I really didn't get that much out of this exercise. Then I realized that that was part of the point: as a member of the second group, I really wasn't aware that the two "lower" groups were being treated differently than we were. And isn't that how social class works? Those with priviliges ASSUME that everyone has the same rights, opportunities, etc as they do. It's the people who are being deprived in any way who are conscious of the differences. I realized in reading these posts that maybe I experienced more about social distinctions doing this than I thought I did.

Wed Feb 09, 2005 8:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am glad to see that so many of us got a good lesson out of last week's experiment. I feel that social class and social descrimination is a HUGE issue in all aspects of society and especially education. The instatution of social class is the basis of out capitalist society and unfortunately keeps our society running in its current state. I think as educators this is an issue that we must always keep in the front of our minds. I'm not saying to always look at the bad, but as teachers this is our chance to break down some barriers that we do not believe in. If you take a close look at many of our schools, you'll se another form of racism....classism. I am doing an Internship at watauga and it is real clear that the kids in the remedial classes do not have much money.
Well I do not currently have an answer to this problem, but maybe onw day. If any one has any other thoughts speak (or write) up.

Thu Feb 10, 2005 4:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought it was interesting to be put in different social classes and have to do an assignment. I have never really thought about it that much and how the distribution of resources is really unfair. Wealthier students have much more access to resources and opportunities to excel. Children from poorer schools don't have the access to these privileges. So being part of the working class and having limited items to use was really frustrating. Also being treated differently because of the class I was in, was not fair at all. It makes me think about how many people are treated that way simply because of the class they are in. It is not right!! We need to make many more steps in the direction of improving student equality. That is something that I feel I will work hard at because I don't think it is fair that students are treated unequally simply based on race and class. So I am glad we did the experiment in class to get a different perspective. I think so many times we take things for granted and do not realize how fortunate we are. We all need to be more aware of the issues.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 10:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It was dan eye opener for me as well. I just hope I have the chance to really help who ever I am teaching, and not get stuck in the thought that if I am in a lower class school that i ma more a baby sitter busy work giver. I don't think any of us would sign up for that. That's not why we want to teach.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:38 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]