View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:18 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 Morals and the teacher's responsibility 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

:arrow: I have seen through volunteering in a classroom that moral development is not an issue in the home for many kids. For example, talking back to the teacher, rudeness with peers, etc. When this is evident in a classroom of students, should it become the teacher's responsibility to become a "moral mentor" or a parent of sorts in the area of morals :?:

Sun Feb 13, 2005 8:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Man, being a teacher and pushing those moral values in this America is a one-way ticket to public slaughter.

But, you're right. We are in a dilemma of dilemmas here. Sadly, there are more parents than we like to believe who are hardly involved in their children's lives. However, personal morals differ more than peanut butter and motor oil. It is quite evident, even through this forum, that the very things that we are so passionate about could be heresy to someone else.

To make things ever tougher, we read earlier this semester that, as teachers, we teach precisely who we are. We are what we teach. So how do we teach without the over-bearing morals? Are these not what we are made of? On the other hand, may it be possible to separate our wholesome character from our stringent moral code?

The one good thing about our bureaucratic social system is that it forces (or rather, should force) teachers to have open minds. Since we can't really boast who we are, we must listen instead.

And that's my best response. Let us listen with open hearts, lay off the moral sauce, and let our characters, not our beliefs, guide our classrooms.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

(That stupid penguin above my head really takes the whole "bad-ass" aspect away from my sweet mugshot.)

Tue Feb 15, 2005 4:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with both Daniel and the mystery guest. I'm sure that we all strive to be teachers that student respect. By modeling "good" behavior (kindness, patience, tolerance), students will hopefully pick up on that stuff. And really, there are some things that shouldn't be questioned and I think we should have the right to tell kids if they don't want to be treated a certain way, then they shouldn't treat others that way. It's our job to prepare these kids to be productive members of society and knowing to respect fellow citizens goes along with that.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:46 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I feel that there needs to be some sort of guidance for students in the area of morals. It may not necessarily be morals, but it may be more of good manners. Teachers in my opinion are responsible for not only teaching a student subject matter but they are also teachers of life. If teachers do not help a student out in the area of manners and/or morals, we are doing them a disservice. We as teachers are preparing the students for life in areas of book knowledge and how to function in society. We have the opportunity to help each and every student that comes through the doorway of our classrooms and we must do our best to teach them in every way possible.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree, Matt, that there is an inherent responsibility for guidance in teaching. I think the idea of manners is an excellent point. As Erin pointed out, there are some positive human characteristics that should not be questioned: "kindness, patience, tolerance" were all things that she mentioned.

However, 'morals' is a lot heavier than 'manners'. There are things associated with morals that mere manners do not even begin to touch upon. As we know, "moral" is a hot stove for heated argument. I suppose the fine line between the two is where the problem lies.

Perhaps, we may be wisest in distinguishing "classroom morals" and "outside morals." Gay marriage, abortion, and political affiliations are wonderful issues to discuss. But they should not in the classroom be pushed on the students. However, the general "classroom morals", the obvious traits we should all have, should indeed be encouraged. Tolerance, kindness, patience - - without these we would indeed be doing the children an disservice.

As teachers we must simply recognize that which is important and that which is more important to the society inside the classroom. Maybe then we can do service to the students without going overboard.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Public schools are an excellent mission field.

Many of you will disagree with this. That is fine. But part of my reason for entering education is that most kids need guidance and help; they're looking for answers, and the God I believe in has them. This attitude may get me fired someday. So be it.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 5:34 pm
All-star
All-star

As a business education major, I plan to incorporate ethics into my curriculum. I believe that teachers should model moral behavior. If the students are treated with respect, they will learn respect. If the student is not receiving this instruction at home, he/she should be receiving it from the schools. Preparing students for the world must include moral behavior. This can be done in subtle ways. An example of this is the lesson involving the soccer ball. That lesson helped the students see how other children are treated and then they were able to show compassion for them. You can teach morals without cramming it down the students’ throats or beating them over the head with it. We must make it meaningful to them.

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Perhaps my earlier response needs some clarification. Not in anyway do I plan to be a teacher who pushes my beliefs on my students, or crams anything in their lives that they don't want. I believe that my character and emphasis on building student character will best teach them the morals they need. Admittedly, I'm also not ashamed of my faith, and won't hesitate to share what I believe with any student who may inquire.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 4:16 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is a touchy subject. I think that in some cases, children wont be taught good morals and values in the home, so the only place they will get it would be at school. However, we as teachers must be careful not to push our morals onto students. It is very important to teach students to respect others, to be kind and listen to others, and other values of that sort, so that they become good citizens. I guess Im saying that it is our responsiblity to teach children good morals and values, however, to not go over that fine line.

Wed Feb 23, 2005 5:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]