View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 4:54 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 national board certification 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Okay, so we have talked about the benefits of getting a masters degree.....whats the big deal about getting national board certification. Honestly I don't know much about it, we talked about it briefly in my CI 2800 class. Can you guys fill me in?

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:11 am
All-star
All-star

Well.. I have been told that it takes a lot of your time to get the NBCT certification, but that it is well worth it. From what I have gotten, it not only gives you another pay increase, but it helps to show that you are one of the best of the best in teaching. IF you have it, you are suppose to be one excellent teacher. I know you have to do a lot of video taping of you teaching. You also have to do a big notebook that you have to give them. That’s about all I know about it, I just know that teachers have told me to try for it until I get it, to never give up on it. :D

Tue Feb 15, 2005 7:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We're covering this in another one of my classes right now, so I can totally help out. From what I've gathered, NC is one of the most supportive states as far as helping their teachers get national board, and as a result, we have the most Nationally Board Certified teachers in the country. The state will pay the $2300 (!!!) assessment fee for you. They will also give you three paid days off of work to get your portfolio together. Once you've gotten it, you'll get a 12% salary increase for the length of the certification (10 years) and you'll be credited with 15 "continuing education units" (required for license renewal I do believe). That might be too much of "what it is" and not enough of "why you should do it", but I guess the enormous amount of help that NC gives teachers seeking the certification kind of showed me that it makes everyone look really good for you to have it.

Tue Feb 15, 2005 9:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that National Boards also gives you reciprocity in every state. So you could go anywhere and teach. that seems like a good deal to me and the pay increase ain't bad. To get board certified you have to demonstrate that you have superior teaching skills by having several years experience under your belt and a long application proccess. It sounds like a lengthy process. Here are some resources for more info.

http://www.nea.org/nationalboard/index.html and

http://www.nbpts.org/

Mon Feb 21, 2005 3:23 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The National Board Certification thing has been a little controversial in some of my classes. There are many good things about it but I remember my teacher who was trying to get her certification was a really bad teacher the semester she was trying to get it. I have also met people who are certified whose co-workers think they are horrible teachers as well. Some amazing teachers apply, spend all that money out of pocket, and then do not get certified. It is one of those things that has to be a personal decision and it will require a lot of time and dedication but definently seems worth it if you are up to hte challenge! :D

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:17 am
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]