View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 7:13 am

Reply to topic  [ 20 posts ] 
 Is PE and/or recess important for kids? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is sort of distant from the type of questions that have been posted here lately but it is one that I feel is important and one that I have had discussions about in other classes. It deals with physical education and/or recess. How important do you feel that physical education is for students? Also, is it also important for students to also have recess and if so why :?:

Tue Feb 15, 2005 10:00 pm
All-star
All-star

I feel it is definitely important for kids to have both P.E. as well as Recess. They need to have a time to exercise as well as know fun ways to exercise. I think they can get this from P.E. They also just need a time to be able to move around from all the sitting and being in the same environment of the classroom.
Recess gives the kids a time to be able to talk to other kids. It also gives them time to just get out all their energy.
I feel that it is important for all classes to be involved in both P.E. and recess. :D

Wed Feb 16, 2005 9:41 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Yes I think that Physical Education is important in the schools. Who wants to sit in a desk all day long? I mean when I was in school it was my favorite part of the day. I loved the other parts of school too, but I loved when I got to express myself in an athletic way. I thought it was so much fun. I didn't even realize that I was helping myself maintain a healthy lifestyle that I still value today. Children need exercise. It's good for their mind and bodies. Physical education allows the students that maybe don't do so well in the classroom really show off their talents in another setting. I think PE is benefical to all and it should continue to be a part of the educational process.

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Wed Feb 16, 2005 11:45 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Allison and Summer that P.E. classes bring a little variety to the school setting. It is important for children to have the time to just have some fun. I also feel that in this day and age, physical education is becoming an increasingly important issue. The child obesity stats have increased phenominally over this last decade. Nearly fifteen percent of children from 6-19 suffer from obesity. Yes, physical education is not the only thing that needs to be done in order to change these statistics but it is one step in addressing this issue.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 12:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I definitely believe that physical education and recess is very important for kids. The school day is so long for students, especially elementary school students. It is hard for them to sit down in a classroom. Recess and physical education allows time for students to get up and move around. It also is a time for them to have fun. And school should be fun. If your day is packed with lessons, then as a teacher, you should have learning activities for the students to do that will allow them to move around and use some of their energy that has been building up. It also stresses the importance of a healthy lifestyle. Today, children spend so much time in-doors playing video games, and children are becoming more and more overweight. However, in physical education, one of the main concepts is to stress the importance of staying active throughout their lives. With all of that being said, I definitely believe physical education and recess is very important to any school curriculum.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 2:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think P.E. is greatly need. Not only for the exercise but also to instill a path of healthy living for themselves and their families. Too many kids now do not have any physical activity in their lives. Obesity is rampent in America and we need P.E. to instill a life long need for a healthy living.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:17 pm
All-star
All-star

PE is so important to give the students a chance to move around. The obesity among children is rocketing and yet schools want to remove PE. I have several friends that are PE majors and they have stated that the way games are conducted have changed. There is more focus now in building children's self esteem through PE. Games which single out children that may not be as athletic are being eliminated. Now that PE is changing to suit the needs of children even more it is important to keep physical education in our schools.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Physical Education classes are something that I feel very strongly about. I have even thought about being a PE teacher. It is so important for young children to learn the benefits of exercise and different ways to get exercise at an early age. Many children, when they get home from school, their parents just sit them in front of a tv either to play video games or to watch nickelodeon. This said, for many students, the only place for them to get physical activity is in a physical education class. Besides, PE classes are a fun time to just let all your energy out during the day but in a positive, instructional way.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 5:35 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is great! I am so glad that all of you value PE and recess the way I do. I think that physical education is very vital and is important in so many ways. If nothing else, it gets kids physically active. Kids these days need to be active and they need to learn somewhere how to live healthy lives. I feel that recess is important too because it gives kids a break from the classroom. I have noticed through observations in my mother's school how great PE and recess are. There is definitely a distinction in the kids when you compare them on days that they have had PE or recess with days when they did not. The kids tend to pay more attention and be able to focus a little more if they are given the chance to let loose and have a little fun. :D Kids need their PE and recess!! I feel that if you as a teacher take it away from them, you will pay the price in your classroom.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 8:40 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm a PE major and I could preach all night and day and until I was blue in the face, about the importance of physical education in the school systems. In class the other day we went over some of the statistics on the participationof kids in physical activity. I don't have the numbers with me righ now but I can get them later to show you. I believe that less than half of the kids in school are getting the required amount of physical activity that they need. Physical activity is far more important for kids than what people realize. A good PE program and teacher will strive to teach and assess kids in three domains. The first domain is the psychomotor. This domain deals with the childs motor skills and motor development . Kids need practice learnig not just complex movements butalso the most simple of skills such as leaping, hopping, skipping, and galloping. trus me I 've seen many kids already that are unable to coordinate themselves to simply gallop with any kind of consistency. The second domain is the cognitve domain. Here kids learn how to use critical thinking skills that allow them to make decisions in gameplay situations. Kids can learn multiple strategies any where from simple math problems in an actvity to tactical decisions in a baseball game. Kids can learn how to apply thier thoughts and decisions at a higher rate of speed and accuracy. The third domain is the affective and that is were kids come to value the importance of being physically active. The kids gain self confidence and a sense of acomplishment . Hopefully the students will understand the importance of good nutrition. As a PE teacher our goal his to get kids to become participants in lifelong physically active participants. Whether it is traditional sports or alternative sports and activities.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 1:09 am
All-star
All-star

One of the most frustrating things I've run into in schools is when kids are "punished" for being restless or moving around in class by being kept out of PE!!! Often the kids who need it the most are the ones who are held in the room to finish the work they didn't do because they were too active or agitated to complete it.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

WOW I couldn’t agree with you more, when I was in elementary school I was that kid who couldn’t keep seated and PE was my favorite part of the day. It makes no since at all to keep theses students away from recess and physical activity. As you stated they have a hard time staying quiet and still and for punishment you take away the only time they are allowed to do so. PE and recess are just as important as all other subject matters for several reason one of them being what Tyrral said they need physical activity in order to stay in shape and it not doing anyone any good to be smart if your so unhealthy that you die at the age of thirty due to high blood pressure or obesity. I think its great that we all value PE.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 4:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I think we all realize the importance of PE. I really do believe that PE along with parents who throw their kids outside every once in a while, instills from early on a desire to feel and be healthy. I never excercised in high school, however I think that my foundation of having PE 3 or so times a week, recess, and parents who made me play outside, lead me to excercise now that I'm in college. I have friends even now who just have no desire to do any sort of physical activity - they're as bad as the teenagers who just sit and play video games!
I will say that I read a really interesting article about how some PE classes are changing. It was about some school (sorry, I'm so vague) that had PE class that was more like working out in a gym - cardio equipment, weight lifting, resistance machines, etc. - and the students learned how to use all the equipment properly and what not. I thought that this was so cool! They're learning how to use the equipment properly, getting into early habits of going to a gym, and AVOIDING the embarassment of being picked last for dodgeball. I think that new revamped gym class might suit today's high school students better than what I did in high school - archery and badminton.
Sorry I was a little scatter-brained on this one...

Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:38 am
All-star
All-star

I agree with everyone else on the subject. PE is extermely important. My personal feeling is that all students should be required to have a PE class each year. This would upset some students :( - especially my daughter who hated PE in her 9th grade year. However, PE classes do need to peak the student's interested and not be geared toward the athletes. As in all classes, variety is the key.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

P.E. is awesome. I also hated it. I still hate it. But I realize that it's so necessary that words can't really express it. Like everyone here has said, physical health is important. I didn't realize that P.E. classes were undergoing a "re-vampage"...I think this is an excellent idea. I have so many horrid memories of sucking at dodgeball, kickball, basketball, the mile run...gee, just about everything. The horror of being picked last for teams was something I swallowed daily in grade school. The one thing I'd like to mention, however, is the importance of health education. I think a lot of times we all just went to PE to run around and throw balls at eachother; there wasn't really a conscious effort to educate us about health and staying active until late in middle school when we actually had health classes attached to PE lessons. Maybe it's because I went to a ghetto school during this time; maybe the rest of you had excellent education about being fit and healthy. But with more emphasis on nutrition and living an active lifestyle, PE will be even more beneficial to students. :D

Sat Feb 19, 2005 4:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Wes about all of the social and psychological benefits of PE. Interacting with other kids and learning how to share and be competitive all while having fun teaches things that I don't think can be taught in the classroom.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 2:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Recess is awesome because students get to release energy and exercise. I wish recess was included at all levels of schooling even college. How cool would it be if App had some huge slides, a jungle gym, or monkey bars!? People feel better after they work out and there is scientific research to support that. The only bad thing about recess is the 3 second rule once you go to the water fountain...that is not enough time to drink!!! :cry:

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Just imagine a room full of 20 six year-olds inside a classroom for 8 hours. Actually, try to put yourself in a class for eight hours without some kind of recess. We’d all go nuts! PE and recess is absolutely definitely essential for brain function and all out saneness on both the teacher and the student! The students need a chance to relax and spend some energy to be studious later on in the day, and the teacher needs the students the use up energy outside that they would have used inside by disrupting class. Take away PE and recess will eventually take away a teacher’s sanity :)

Wed Mar 23, 2005 12:27 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think that recess and physical education are both very important. We teach children about health and good living and P.E. should be included in that lesson. Especially effective P.E. in the time given to the teachers. I think that it should be at least adminstered three times a week for classrooms especially with the obesity epidemic that is plaguing our country.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Coming from the perspective of someone that is going to teach elementary school, I definitely see the need for PE and recess. Children need PE because it is structured and teaches students all kinds of skills such as team-building, physical fitness, games, rules, and sports. It is a wonderful class that allows students to be active and have fun at the same time. Recess is also very important, while it might not be as active as PE, it enables students to get out energy and interact with one another socially. Students will sit in the classroom all day and be expected to sit still except for the times they are at PE and recess. I think elementary schools should have PE and recess every day when possible. Students can only take so much sitting still and not moving. It is so important that students be able to move and be active. Children love doing things where they can get out of their seats and interact with one another. So I strongly support both PE and recess.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 9:27 am
Reply to topic   [ 20 posts ]