View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 10:06 pm

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 News about Female teachers molesting young boys? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In light to all the female teachers getting in trouble for inappropriate behavor with male minors. I want to get feeling of what everyone is feeling about this. Personally, I find it scary to see that a 27 year old is going after a 13 to 14 year old. I find this sick and the actions done by these teachers has tarnished all of us in this profession. What do you all feel?

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:10 pm
All-star
All-star

I find it so sad that many parents feel uncomfortable sending their children to school because they are afraid that they way fall victim to a sexual predator. About a year ago several teachers were fired for having "inappropriate relations" with a student. Two of the teachers all ganged up on another and testified that he was the only one that had a sexual relations with the student. Only one of these men went to jail. I think that all three should have been punished rather than the two just having their teaching liscense revoked and being put on probation. Teachers have to go through a psychological screening as well. I think that there should be harsher penalties for teachers that have relationships with their students.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 4:38 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

When I saw on CNN about the 24 year old teacher who had sexual relations with one of her male students, I was shocked. Why are they going after the younger boys when they have husbands waiting for them at home? It just seems so odd and scary. What is public education really coming to? If I was a parent, I know that in the back of my mind that I would always have the feeling that school may not be a safe place for my child. With all the violence and sexual offenses seen in the news, you have to wonder what parents truly think about schools. I am just completely lost about this whole topic. I can't help but ask how did it get this far? What causes these acts to happen and why aren't they being stopped? Something needs to be done. Maybe, there should be harsher punishments and more intense screenings, like Amber said.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:39 pm
All-star
All-star

I too feel saddened that this has happened. This is an aspect that puts a reflection on all teachers. Once a person hears about one teacher being bad, it makes them think that all teachers are like this one. It is a sad situation. Teachers should not be viewed upon by the actions of one teacher.
Parents in turn have a bad response to this. They are then afraid of the teachers and what they may do to their child. They don't want to send their kids to school anymore.
I think people like this should be punished to the full extend. No part of this issue should be taken lightly. When they mess with these kids, they are messing with our future.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 10:39 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This is sick! Everytime I hear of an incidence dealing with sexual offences in the school system I get livid! How could anyone do that? It's something that we can't understand, but the fact is that it happens. In my highschool and other highschools in my county several young male teachers have been caught and sent to jail for having relations with their female students. I just recently saw on espn news a highschool basketball coach that was accused of having sex with several of his players. He develped that reputation and the girls on the team were apparently aware of it, but never did anything about it. The parents heard about it somehow, but had developed such a trusting relationship with the coach they didn't believe that it was going on. He was found guilty and sent to jail. He hung himself in jail with a bed sheet. Ugh! It's so sad that this happens. I think that the students that were involved in this case are sick too. They did say that the coach was very manipulating and had this way of controling the girls, but I can't imagine just letting a coach have sex with me unless he was raping me or using force. They seem to just be letting this happen though.

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Thu Feb 17, 2005 10:01 am
All-star
All-star

I think through all this, there's absolutely no way that we can blame the students. High school (in these cases) is a time of hormones and uncertainty in oneself. It's a time of rejection, of sadness, of confusion. When someone, anyone, (unfortunately, even a school teacher) shows an interest in one of these students, it probably makes them feel really important - I mean, that's what they want isn't it? Attention? However, these acts are not forms of attentions, they're forms of seductions and abuse - not to mention illegal. But I don't think there's any way one can blame the students.
As far as teachers go, I'm pretty sure these sorts of things have been going on forever. Does that mean turn a blind eye? Of course not. I personally think it's good that all these cases have been reported and tried in court - students will slowly realize that these acts are wrong and should be reported, and teachers with these problems might not act upon it as easily if they know the consequences.
I personally hope that parents are not scared to send their kids to school. School should be a warm and secure environment and I would hate to see that change. THere's not much we can do once we're in the field except keep our eyes and ears open for any sort of occurences like this, and lead by example.
I have to say, it really makes me angry and sad. No child should have to go through anything like this.

Sat Feb 19, 2005 7:07 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As all of you, I too get pretty pissed off when I see acts of sexual behavior between adults and minors. This goes for any one who can not maintain appropriate boundaries. What I find that most affects teachers is that we now always have to watch our backs. I never want to even put my self in a position were it is my word against a student's. This means that we have to watch all of our actions and words that we use and hope that no takes something the wrong way. I think it is sad that we have to so aware of this. The vast majority of us have absolutely no intentions of hurting a child or starting a relationship with them and we should not be punished for that. I just hate the fact that we have to be so overprotective of our selves. I don't like living in a world full of paranoia.

Mon Feb 21, 2005 9:14 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Seeing those things on the news reminds me of two inidents similar to this that occurred in my hometown. The only difference was that men went after high school women. I do not think that students are solely to blame but they are not completely innocent either. In both cases from my high school the girls pursued the sexual activity as much as the men did. Often I mostly find it sad that students and/or teachers allow this sort of things to happen. Students are going through some critical things in life as they make their way through school and I think we can all admit to making some very bad decisions at one point or another in our school careers. But teachers should never initiate nor allow any innappropriate behavior to occur...you lose a lot of respect and dignity that way.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:12 am
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]