View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 16, 2024 11:20 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 "It's just black and white and a hundred shades of gray 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

This one has been weighing on me for a while.

Lisa Delpit makes it quite clear, white teachers are not inherently capable of educating black students. She may be generalizing and a bit biased, but she has a point. White culture and black culture are different. There are no two ways around it.

So how are we, as teachers, to deal with this? We can not teach two different classes at the same time, can we? Even if we were to specialize attention to one group or the other, isn't that called segregation?

So what are we left with? I sit here with a million thoughts running through my head, but none of them can dedicate the attention that each child deserves.

It's not so black and white anymore. It's gray as hell.

Wed Feb 16, 2005 3:26 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I kinda felt the same thing as I was reading that article. No matter what I say or do or how I feel, I can't ever really be in their place. Even if she made some generalizations, it's still something that is there. It's so strange that after so many years of our country being a "melting pot" that this is such an issue. I guess I'm just hopeful that it will get easier and we continue to grow as a society.

Thu Feb 17, 2005 3:56 pm
All-star
All-star

I agree with Daniel that it will be difficult to teach the class to reach all students. There are so many variables that a teacher needs to consider when presenting the material. The fact that the state requires you to impart all this knowledge to the students in a certain time frame is unreal. And it is certainly not fair to the students. I think we as teachers need to research the cultures of our students to better understand how they learn.

Fri Feb 18, 2005 6:20 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]