View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Tue Apr 23, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 "Cultural capital" and lack of ambition 
All-star
All-star

We talked last week about the Latina girl at Groton and both how she gained cultural capital by going there but also felt alone in the world culturally since she no longer fit in at home. I see a lot of people dealing with this concern. I think without being able to verbalize it, a lot of students fear that what they would lose culturally by going off to college is greater than what they would gain in opportunities, earning power, etc. I know this was true in the area where I grew up--almost everyone went to the local college. I remember a professor complaining about his students who had great job opportunities but just would not consider moving to another state. I think high school teachers need to be conscious of this in dealing with students who have potential but just don't seem motivated to go anywhere or do anything. Have y'all seen this and do you think it's a matter of losing cultural identity?

Sun Feb 20, 2005 3:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Oh yes!! In my hometown girls and guys did not want to leave their families and the redneck atmosphere they were used to. I saw so many of my wonderfully smart girlfriends stay home and go to the local community college when they could have gone to UNC or State. It is always a touchy area though because some may not be motivated and others just are not cut out for college and stepping out of their comfort zone. But I am going to be teaching high school and I want to stress to my students that their are many schools, options on getting there, and things in life that they can achieve.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 2:23 am
All-star
All-star

I find this very interesting. I've moved around a lot throughout my life, therefore I do not have one place that I am most attached to. And most of my friends are moving to NY, Boston, DC, Philadelphia - all to get away from small towns and familiar surroundings - all in the name of "trying something new". I'm curious, once I start student teaching in Avery next semester, if these students will be like the ones you mention. I think that may be a goal of mine - to let these students know that you don't have to compromise your cultural ties (be it to the South or to a particular country) by moving away. There are a lot of great places out there and it just seems kind of sad to me that people don't want to break out of their comfort zone. But that could just be because of my own experiences with moving around.

Tue Feb 22, 2005 9:45 am
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]