View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Apr 25, 2024 12:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 16 posts ] 
 Teacher's Pets 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Alright be honest....
were you ever a teacher's pet?
if so were you glad you were or not?
How do you think you will handle this common occurrence as a teacher?

I was definently a teacher's pet in elementary school. But back then all I wanted to do was please my teachers and learn. I will be teaching high school and I hope I treat everyone as someone special so that they all feel appreciated by me! :D

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:10 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was not a teachers pet. I wanted to be because I would have loved all the extra attention. I was really jealous of all the teachers’ pets. I developed a reputation as a young first grader as being a little mischievous. It is hard not to have favorites. Working at a YMCA day camp I realized that it happens though. It is the teacher’s responsibility not to let it show though. When I was a counselor of course there were always a few that listened all the time, were always willing to help and never got in trouble. As a counselor though, I tried very hard not to give these kids any more attention than I did the kids that never seemed to get it. Kids seek out attention in many different ways. We need to give each child our honest attention because children can tell when we are faking it and will lose all respect for you.

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Thu Feb 24, 2005 10:16 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was never a teachers pet. Never wanted to be one, I kinda just liked having fun, and doing my own thing, and a lot of times that got in the way of the learning process. So I did get a lot of extra attention but not because I wanted it. I was a little hellian. Not a bully, or a class clown or anything, just had my views, and opinions and stuck to them.

Thu Feb 24, 2005 4:35 pm
All-star
All-star

I was the teacher's pet in third grade, and she and my mother got to be good friends through me. We stayed in touch until she died at age 90. I think the bigger issue to me than having pets is having kids that I just can't stand. The sad thing is that the kids who get on your last nerve are usually the ones who need the attention the most...it's so hard to not let it show when someone really irritates you.

Fri Feb 25, 2005 10:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was a teacher’s pet I guess I never really saw a big difference then but looking back I got privileges that other students didn’t get. As far as teaching goes I think we will all have a favorite students but the trick is to treat all of them the same. Easier said that done I’m sure but as long as we make an effort it should not be a huge problem.

Mon Feb 28, 2005 3:06 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was jealous of teachers' pets. I was also one of them. Sometimes, there was this sneaky competition thing to be the "better" teacher's pet. Unfortunately, in fifth grade I developed a crush on the teachers favorite pet. Since he didn't like me, I decided to start making fun of him. That led to disdain for all teacher's pets, since he started to make me sick. Strangely, I was never fond of pleasing teachers after that...But all that to say, yes, we probably won't be able to help having favorites, but I am going to try veryhard not to let it be known who the favorites are. I guarantee myself this will be harder than it seems, especially on rough days where you just want to call on somebody who knows the answer...again...

Tue Mar 01, 2005 12:47 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was not a teacher's pet. I was a smart ass and wanted attention. I'm pretty sure that most of my teachers just wanted me to calm down. I do think that I was liked by most teachers, but I was never a favorite.
I really think that the way kids act is directly related to what they want/need. Most kids are asking for something, but they just might know the best way to get it. I think that it's our job as teachers to figure out what each individual is asking for and try to teach them other ways to get what they need. This apply's to teacher's pets, "bad" kids, quiet kids, and those like me who had at lot of energy. I just think this is something to keep in mind with all students. It might help you figure out how to be a better teacher.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 2:40 pm
All-star
All-star

As a teacher, it's soo important to be as neutral as possible when it comes to dealing with students. This can affect self-esteem and other qualities if you're not careful. Yeah, I'll admit I was a teacher's pet here and there, but really, I think it sort of was a by-product of trying so hard in school - I'd ALWAYS go in for extra help if I needed it, for example. However, my teachers were always very professional and sometimes I wouldn't know for years if I was a pet or not.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 3:46 pm
All-star
All-star

I was a teacher's pet in elementary school when I lived in South Carolina. Then when my family move to NC, I just went into the shadows. There were some things I enjoyed with being the teacher's pet. The thing I hated the most was being used as an example of how things should be done. It really embarrassed me.
As a teacher, I know I will have favorites but I plan not to let it show. I do agree with Dana that the tougher job will be hiding your dislike for certain students.

Wed Mar 02, 2005 5:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Haha. Man, I could shmooze the old ladies that taught me in elementary school. I never really used the advantage of being a teacher's pet, but I know I was one. I got my stuff done and was never in a lot of trouble. But talk about sucking up. My nose was brown.

Then came middle school, where every teacher had seen enough smart asses in their lives to recognize a schmoozer in the making. So that ended my teacher's pet streak.

In high school, I gave up. To many young male teachers for me to be a schmoozer anymore. So I just worked. It was about time, I suppose.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 10:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was a teacher's pet in elementary school. I would constantly suck up and the teachers would often let me by with everything. In middle school, I was "too cool" to be the teacher's pet anymore. Instead, I just ignored teachers all together and they didn't care for me that much. In high school, like Daniel, I just decided it was time to get to work. I also figured out in the tenth grade that I wanted to teach! Who would have thought?

Thu Mar 03, 2005 3:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I had to think about this one. I know I was a teacher's pet in elementary school, especially 3rd-5th grade. It was nice to be thought of as smart and to get attention. Then I realized that I also had my share of teachers in middle school and high school that I really enjoyed having and wanted to be on their good sides. I didn't do a lot of sucking up, but I worked hard and would talk with the teachers every now and then to get to know them. I even still have teachers in college that I like more than others. A few in particular really stick out and I still go by and visit them and catch up, not because I am sucking up or anything, but because I really liked them as people and as teachers and I have a respect for them. In elementary school I definitely took advantage of the teacher's pet role. I loved my 5th grade teacher and I still go back and see her whenever I can. I guess the really great teachers are the ones that I enjoyed a lot and they still stick out in my mind. I have had many wonderful teachers over the years that still remember me and my family. It is nice to be able to go back and see them and they know exactly who I am. It causes me to continue to have great memories of these teachers.

Wed Mar 16, 2005 5:20 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was certainly a teachers pet. I think that it is difficult as a teacher to treat all the students the same. I worked in a daycare and noticed that I favored some kids over others. I tried my best to treat them fairly and sometimes that was difficult. I hope that I do not show favoratism in my classroom.

Thu Mar 17, 2005 6:11 pm
All-star
All-star

Yes, I was a teacher’s pet! I can remember in a lot of Elementary grades, I was always the one who got to watch the class when the teacher stepped out, the one to run errands for my teachers and the one who never got in trouble.
Though some of these times taught me responsibility, they also taught me to be bossy. I got out of this stage quickly in middle school.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:25 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In private school I was a teachers pet. However, our classes at most had 15 students in them, and most were taught by Catholic nuns and priests! In public high school I kind of felt overwhelmed in the new environment with so many different people and overcrowded, loud classrooms. Because of the shock, I tried to blend into the crowd as much as I could, and I was not the teachers pet then by far.

Tue Mar 22, 2005 11:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't think that I was ever a teachers pet. I never really wanted to be, it required too much ass kissing! In high school I probably got my only taste of what it was like to be a teachers pet. My Drama teachersalways let me come and go form class when I pleased. Bu tshe actually let several of us do that. She was not a lazy teacher, we just happened to be a group of close friends that she knew would not cause trouble and always completed our assignments. We really worked hard in her class because we enjoyed. I always thought that the kids who were tachs [img][/img]

Wed Mar 23, 2005 11:18 pm
Reply to topic   [ 16 posts ]