View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:03 am

Reply to topic  [ 3 posts ] 
 Teaching Thanksgiving, Columbus, and US hisory. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I am going to be teaching high school social studies and was wondering what you all think about the boundaries of teaching US history. I'm sure we all got the one-sided, white man version of US history in high school, but many of us now know how extremely biased those history classes were. I am certainly a bit liberal when it comes to my views of the world and I want to teach my students the truth. I feel that as a future history teacher is will be part of my job to teach my students who to think like historians. This will involve looking at primary sources and figuring out what really happened. In the case of Native American and US history this means teaching some really horrible stories.
So what I want to know is: how far is too far? (I'm talking about high school kids) Are there any boundaries? Or is the real truth more important than sugar coating events?

Thu Mar 03, 2005 2:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I really feel like showing multiple points of view and thorougly doing research is key. Furthermore, I think it's essential that if we don't know or can't find information, to try and bring in a speaker regarding that idea. Another idea I like is having them read books. One I read recently is "Follow the River". It gives a vivid account of what I woman goes through when her settlement is attacked by American Indians whose land was taken away. Then you could have the students read something by a Native American author to get the other side of the story. Essentially, you get two sides to the story, and you can help the students make informed decisions about what really happened in history. I guess you'd have to get a feel for students' comfort levels and what they can handle - "Follow the River" can get somewhat graphic sometimes. But, I had to read 'Crime and Punishment' in ninth grade - I really feel that if you have high expectations and talk everything through, you can teach a vivid, accurate and truthful history class - and other classes, too!

Fri Mar 04, 2005 4:32 pm
All-star
All-star

:( As with all subjects, you have to look at what your school, county, and the state will allow. I'm all for telling the students the truth. It not only helps prepare them for the real world but it also allows them to see you in a positive light. If you tell them the truth even if it isn't pretty, they will see the importance telling the truth in all areas. With all the violent movies and video games the students watch, I don't think what really happened in America's history will be too much for them.

Sun Mar 06, 2005 3:27 pm
Reply to topic   [ 3 posts ]