View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:50 am

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Are we all treated and are we treating people equally? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After class last Thursday I thought,; How do we treat everyone equally? If everyone has the right to learn equally do we treat everyone as acedemic equals? I honestly am at a loss, I do not believe that everyone is on the same page when it comes to education. So do we bend and treat others differently to catch them up?

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:15 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Man, this is tough stuff. It's the same question that Delpit was suggesting in her essay.

Are we, as teachers, supposed to look past the obvious cultural boundaries that are an inherent part of our society? This is an important question because we must understand that multi-culturalism is, by nature, unequal. We are different people with different cultures and different needs educationally.

Would it be more of a disservice to the students to ignore their culture and provide equal learning oppurtunities or to submit to cultural barriers and provide unequal education specialized for each student?

I suppose my dad was right when he told me that you can't please everyone at once.

Thu Mar 03, 2005 4:41 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]