View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 6:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 It's something a little bit more 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

After our dicussion this past thursday on sexuality and gender. As much as we discussed the influences and reality of both if these subjects over and in our schools, I think that there was a larger picture. All of it is crucial information to consider, but not. I say not only because if you stripped away the world's labels and expectations as a child walks into your classroom, your classroom becomes a different world. What if none of those labels matter and expectations matter? What if instead of saying black, women, hispanic, diability blah blah blah month we let it be everyone everywhere month. I cant stress enough how much that even though in my mind i know its imporant to know everyones differnt to treat everyone equal but once you do that everyone is just that...equal. Equal in the eyes of one another and there is no reason to not let someones differences fade in the background and have instead their abilities and talents as a human being be the foregroud. When the children leave my classroom at the end of the day and go home, i want then to go home and feel apart of the world in a big way, feel connected to everyone else around them because there is something that connects them every other person.

Mon Mar 28, 2005 1:28 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm so glad Dr. Turner had the courage to address these issues. So many teachers and educators slink around them, fearing their uncomfortable, controversial weight. But the fact is, we gotta discuss these things. I feel so relieved knowing more about all this. I had heard of transgender people maybe once or twice in my life, but had no idea that this is a relatively common struggle. Knowing this, I hope to extend even more understanding for every student in my classes...

Tue Mar 29, 2005 10:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I thought it was great that whe disscussed sexuality last class and I give props to Gayle for showing the film on transgendered people. Seeing the very different reactions in class to the film showed how important it is to have our own beliefs and sterotypes challenged. I think that homosexuality makes a lot of people very uncomefortable. As future teachers we are going to have to face diversity in our class rooms and schools. Our beliefs and actions will make an influence on our students. I just hope that as a teacher and a member of the human race, I will be able to teach tolerance and practice what I preach.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 4:41 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is very important to cover the issues of diversity. I say issues because there are some many issues out there, there is not just one issue like race. The transgender issue is one that I will admit was one that I had never thought of. It was a new topic for me to think about. Think that dealing with the differences with race could be easier to deal with because its one that has been around for a long time. Transgender on the other hand seems to be a fairly recent topic. I hope that in my classroom I can make it as level a playing field as possible for my students. Sterotyping and classifying people is something that would be difficult to stop but maybe we can tone it down so that it has a tiny affect as possible in the classroom.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 1:01 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]