View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 School shootings 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We just watched a video in my learning diversity class about school shootings. I would recommend that all educators see this film because I found it to be very powerful. It was called "Bang, Bang You're Dead". It is scary that teachers cannot recognize the symptoms of depression or aggression in their students.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:01 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i saw that video this morning as well and i thought it was suprisingly accurate to alot of schools and the "pecking order" that exsist amongst children. I think it also shows that scapegoating on students does occur overwhelming from administration and that alot of times its only one party who is singled out.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 1:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also had the wonderful opportunity to see this documentary. It presented the saddening truth of school violence so well. However it really troubled me to think that these sorts of things are really going on. It was interesting because someone pointed out that they were glad they were teaching elementary because they wouldnt have to deal with that. However I think that her statement was untrue. Yes, it may not occurr to that extent, but things like that do occurr. We as elementary teachers need to consciously think about some of the things that were presented in the video, especially the aspect of the "pecking order" that Natalie mentioned. The hierarchy is already evolving in the upper elementary grades. We dont need to wait until students get to upper middle school and highschool to address this problem. We need to make an effort to abolish any sort of "cast system" that might spring up in our classrooms. One way might be to make sure and separate certain groups of people and make sure that students intermingle and make friends with everyone. Does anyone have any other ideas about how to controle the coming about of a type of "pecking order"??

Wed Mar 30, 2005 8:51 pm
All-star
All-star

We have talked about this subject at work and what we would do if a shooter came in the school. There should be a procedure in place at every school on how to handle this type of situation. Schools are suppose to practice this drill just as they practice a fire drill. The only problem is that if you practice it with the whole student body, you're helping the shooter how to plan his/her attack.

As a parent, I have told my daughters constantly that they should treat everyone with respect. You never know who may be coming back with a gun.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:34 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also had the opportunity to watch Bang, Bang You're Dead the other morning with my Block class. It was a very powerful film. It really got me thinking about school violence and how much goes on that teachers and adminstrators are not aware of. I could not believe how oblivious the principal was to the whole situation. Until she was exposed to what was going on, I don't think she had a clue. This is a scary thing for teachers to have to deal with. We have a responsibility to protect those we are teaching. To think that people can carry around that much anger and agression is terrifying. No wonder some kids explode!! They have so much rage against something that constantly gets held in, until they can't take it anymore. I also thought a lot about being able to tell when something is not right with a student in my classroom. I want to work hard to be able to recognize patterns with my students and be able to help in some way hopefully when there is a problem. I want to be aware of what is going on with those I teach.

I hate that there is a "pecking order." It is frustrating. It happens, and I don't really know what can be done about it. It seems like some group is always on the top and others are underneath, with one always being on the bottom as well. America is supposed to be a meritocracy, but sometimes I can't help but notice how similar we are to the caste system in places like India. Yeah, there is a little room to move up and down within classes, but not much. And it does not happen very often. We will always do this as long as there are labels and stereotypes. It seems to have been around for such a long time. It would take massive amounts of effort by many to change all this. So no wonder it is hard for kids to figure in school. They are labeled and then it is so hard to move out of that once you are associated with "those kind of people." If everyone was equal, there wouldn't be such hostility between groups and violence, I think, would be a much smaller issue.

Sun Apr 03, 2005 7:17 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hate that I have not seen this film but I am so glad someone brought this subject up! This is something that I think/worry about a lot in pursuing a career in a high school. It is so scary to worry about a student going off on classmates and teachers with a gun. Also, it seems like violence and school shootings are not going away...only becoming more prevalent. I hope to be able to reach out to any students who are experiencing tough times in school so that they never have to resort to extreme measures such as shooting others. This is a scary world sometimes :cry:

Tue Apr 05, 2005 11:12 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I have not seen this video and would really like to see it. This subject is one that should be looked at and be taken seriously. You never know when something like this could happen. But I don't like the idea of constantly living in fear of this kind of incedent taking place. Teachers need to be aware of what is going on with thier students. Teachers should be able to look for signs of depression with students. Its unfortunate that we know have to consider the possibility of such an event taking place and it involving not just our students but our own kids as well. This is an issue that could be a big copycat event.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 3:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was talking with the teacher I am doing my internship with, and he told me in detail how much he has thought of school shootings, and what he would do in that situation. He actually had two scenarios in mind. In the first scenario, the school shooter would be so preoccupied that they would completely forget about the row of trailers outside of the school, which he is in, and his class would be safe. The other more frightening scenario is how easy it would be for the shooter to mow down his trailer with bullets from the outside.

To hear him say this gave me chills. Out of all the news we have heard about school shooting, I guess I never really thought it could happen here in this area. But it could, and from the one conversation I had about it, I feel teachers are also very aware of this, and are looking for warning signs.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]