View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:23 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Bully Safe school 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

My block attends there field experience at a middle school that has a progrma called a bully safe school. I dont know how much they put that act into practice but i see posters and I think next time i may take a closer look. To piggyback on what andrea said under the topic of school shootings. As elementary teachers do we feel we escape alot of major issuse such as homosexuality,body image, school violence, etc because we are dealing with younger children? Or are we under more pressure to start good behavior and patterns for futrue schooling?

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I'm not elementary ed, and so i haven't had all the same classes as you have. But I would hope that an elementary school teacher would have the drive and the will to deal with such issues at an early age. Elementary school kids cannot escape from your aformentioned issues, so therefore the teachers also cannot.
I have so many friends today who blame their "conditions" on the ways they were raised, the ways they were treated when they were young - clearly this means action for school teachers. The parents may not do it, but I think it is the duty of the teacher to prepare students for what is to come in their lives (either thru actual discussions or just by being a role model).
I've never realized how important teachers are in the lives of kids until this year. It's amazing really.

Wed Mar 30, 2005 11:42 pm
All-star
All-star

When my daughters were in elementary school, they did have a few programs that dealt with bullying. As a parent, I have also talked with them about dealing with bullies and hopefully, have convinced them not to be bullies. Bullying is not something that only the younger children do. It is in every grade. All teachers need to be aware of how students interact with one another and look for any signs of bullying.

Fri Apr 01, 2005 4:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't mean to be cynical, but I love how the public schools try to take on every responsibility in the world, and then some. Dysfunctional society looks at the chaos in the world, the crime, the poverty, the violence, and then it looks to the schools. "Fix it!!" the world seems to say. Broken families seem to have a good excuse for being broken. "Just look at the world," they say. "Look at what it's done to us! I'm excused from being a responsible and effective parent. I'm just a victim in the machine." Then they look to the schools and say, "Fix it!"

I admire the attempts in schools to be little microcosms of utopian societal perfection. Let's have bully-free schools, they say, because that's what the world needs! And they write programs and host workshops to try to do just that. Truth is, there's only so much a school can do to fix problems in student behavior that should be addressed at home.

But I'm glad schools are becoming more "bully-aware." If it means that one less kid will be harassed as a result of such magnanimous efforts, then it's worth it.

Mon Apr 04, 2005 10:22 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Schools do and should play a vital role in the awareness and the prevention of bullying. I think that teachers should take it upon themselves to try to give kids a safe environment because some of these kids don't really have one at home. Now the problem is that the teachers and the school system can't supervise everything that goes on with kids, it's impossible to do so. To back up what Mailei wrote; everyone has an excuse for being broken and want someone else to fix it. If you have a child then it is ultimately your responsiblity to raise that child to be an upstanding citizen in society. It is no one elses resonsiblity but yours. Yes teachers and other caregivers of children have the responsiblity to positively impact the child's life and they should make the most of that opportunity. Yes sometimes there are some cases were bad things happen but it is time for parents to step up to the plate and bare the brunt of the problem and quit making excuses for piss poor parenting and discipline issues. Children usually tend to be the product of their environment. Society plays a role also but it will always fall to the parent to have the greatest impact on their children.

Tue Apr 05, 2005 2:08 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

To rid schools of bullies has its good intentions, but I don’t see a realistic way to do this. What we can do as teachers is to be aware of what are students are doing in and out of our classroom, and possible conflicts or behavior changes. All schools will have bullies; it’s just the way things are. The schools that are safe zones mean well, but think of how much we all got away with in our schools. I’m sure all of our schools expected the same good behavior, but think of how much you knew went on at school that your teachers either didn’t know about, or just didn’t say anything about.

Wed Apr 06, 2005 9:44 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We can say that the schools should take measures to be bully free but after spending a few weeks in the classroom in Burke County, I just don't see where we have the time or the influence to enact this bully free policy. The school I am at also has the posters plastered on the walls(like Natalie mentioned) but I see no effort on the part of teachers or administrators to enforce the bully free policy. I am not blaming these people either for I know the pressures of the classroom and that there are more pressing issues that need to be covered. The teacher that I am working with will make a comment to the students about getting along with one another if she sees something going on that needs addressing but she doesn't have the time to stop the lesson and give a whole spill on how we should be nice to our friends. There is already too much information to be covered before the end of the year and a teacher cannot afford to take the time to address bullying. This issue does need to be taken care of but I don't see it as the responsiblity of the schools.

Thu Apr 07, 2005 7:57 am
All-star
All-star

I am a middle school major and when I entered the program I too felt that I might be safe from a lot of violence. In my educational psychology course I discovered that middle school has the most cases of violence. I was shocked at this fact. When I was in middle school all I ever saw was the occastional scwabble in the halls. I just wonder what exactly are we supposed to do as teachers. Obviously we should protect our students first but what about protecting ourselves. I admire teachers that take jobs in violence prone areas but I am not sure that I could handle this.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:16 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]