View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:49 am

Reply to topic  [ 7 posts ] 
 Your thoughts on End-of-Grade testing 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was just thinking about end-of-grade testing. I know that I am completely against the pressure of the testing that is put on teachers and students. I also do not like how teachers are now teaching the test instead of moving at the pace they think the class should move at while covering the topics that the teacher feels are important. I know of many times when a teacher is rushed through subject topics just to be able to cover as much material as possible for the EOG. So my question is: What do you think about end-of-grade testing? And if you would change it, how would you change it?

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think students and teachers have to be held accountable. However, I don't know if the current end-of-grade test is the right way to go about it. I realize that most teachers hate the EOGs and most students do as well. To say if a kid can graduate b/c he or she made a particular score on one test is just wrong. Some people just don't test well. We need good teachers who can bring their own style into their classroom to accomodate different styles of learning. EOG testing limits this somewhat! However, the system is not going to change anytime soon. So we as teachers need to figure out ways to make the best of the situation. Yes, we have to "teach to the test," but it is up to us how we want to go about doing that. I firmly believe we can still be creative and make learning enjoyable despite the testing.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

i think that end of grade testing is a really harsh way to assess students. SOme students do not do well on test and slip through the cracks, and i dont think its right to assess all our students individual learning needs and then make them take on solid standardized test that is suppose to encompass all the same knowledge learned. I think it would be more accurate to find a way to assess through portfoli, interview, or maybe "final project, etc. a portfolio showing eah childs work should should the progression and growth of a child.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:05 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I hate end of grade testing. I understand that we must assess students in the form of these tests but they are ridiculous. There is no way to teach all that needs to be taught in the time that we are alotted. These tests add more stress to the teacher and student than is necessary and this stress tends to decrease the level of student performance. I believe that the people who create these national standards and these tests expect too much and that if the standards were lowered (not much but just enough) then the EOGs would not be such a big deal.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:04 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

End-of-Grade testing isn’t a bad thing; I think that it is just the cheapest easiest way to test our students. I mean all year long in math you teach your students how to do math problems and in computer classes you teach them how to use Access or Power point but when it comes to the test it’s mostly multiply choice types of questions. I think end of grade testing should be more hands on and skill based questions. I know this would be harder and more expensive to grade but it would show more of what the student know instead of how well the can eliminate and then guess answers.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:09 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I don't like EOG testing. It makes some students physically sick with all the pressure that is placed upon them to do well. Some people don't test well in terms of that kind of assessment. I think there are many other ways children can be assesed to see if they have actually learned something. This is kinda why I would like to teach 2nd grade it is the last year that they don't do EOG testing. I hate that teachers are teaching to the tests and that is all they cover in the year now. Social Studies and Science are being completely left out. I think teachers should be able to teach everything and not worry so much about these tests. I do not think these tests should have so much emphasis placed on them. It is quite ridiculous.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:43 am
All-star
All-star

In schools the EOGs did not bother me due to the fact that I was a good test taker but now as I am getting ready to start teaching just the very mention of these tests makes my skin crawl. A test should not determine the future of a student. Some students are horrible test takers. These tests just seem like another way to separate students into categories. I think that students and teachers should be held accountable but can't we do it in a more practical way. I wish we could let the students demonstrate what they know in a real life way.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:43 pm
Reply to topic   [ 7 posts ]