View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 11:42 am

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Character Education 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was in a middle school last year that participated in a character education program called Character Counts. This program is part of the school’s curriculum, and encourages ethical values using the Six Pillars of Education, which are trustworthiness, respect, responsibility, fairness, caring, and citizenship. These six values are enforced regularly through all teachers in the classroom, and the students are expected to live by them everyday. Good behavior is rewarded, and some schools even hold school-wide award ceremonies.

I can see why many think this is a good thing, but why are there only six important values? Are they simply bribing the students with the promise of a reward? And what about the parents, does character education stop when the students leave school?

The purpose of this program is to build a moral society through our children, but is this really a good idea for our public schools?

Fri Apr 08, 2005 2:05 pm
All-star
All-star

I think character education is important and plan on implementing it with my classes. This may be the only time of the students hear these words and understand their meaning. Unfortunately, not all parents teach their children morals. When I worked at Wal-Mart, I had a mother and father come in with their children and try to purchase an $80 mixer for $8. I think if we can give the students some type of base for this behavior, it may stick with them.

Sun Apr 10, 2005 5:37 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that chracter is very important to include in the classroom because alot of children socialize at school, and that is where alot of their influences come from. I thin kthat alot of kids need guidance they may not recieve at home, sure we cant be superheroes but I think that character education comes with the job of teaching. I think thatwhy its important to start early with education and information so that in later years bribes dont become of the childs vocabulary for doing good deeds in the name of character

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:19 pm
All-star
All-star

In my high school this character education has become a requirement for freshmen. I took the course myself and some parts were informative. The best part of the class to me was allowing the students to develop decision making skills. Students questions themselves and the world around them and this is a good way for them to turn to their peers and their teacher to help form their own identity.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:31 pm
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]