View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:57 pm

Reply to topic  [ 9 posts ] 
 what needs to be done? 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I recently applied for student teaching and one of the questions they ask us to answer I found rather difficult. The question was "What do you think needs to be acomplished in order to improve our nations educational system?" I thought for a while about how to answer this question and I decided that it would be beneficial to reduce class size, incorporate more technology into the classrooms, and to bring back more science and social studies. These subjects often get left out because they are not emphasized on the end of grade test, but it is equally important for students to know the history of their country as it is for them to know how to do an algebra equation. What do you all think needs to be done in order to better our nations educational system?

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:47 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I completely agree with your ideas, especially regarding smaller classroom sizes and putting more emphasis on science and social studies. My concentration is in science and I definitely believe that more science concepts should be taught early on in the classroom (even in kindergarten). I would also do something about end-of-grade testing. I am definitely against the testing and all the negative effects that come along with it; however, I am not completely sure what I would do to make it better.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also agree this is really hard topic becuase I dont know how to summarize my feelings when they are all over the place, how can you choose one thing and not another. I know I made it a point in my appilcation to talk about my love of literature and how i want to intergrate back into the classroom as more than just a chore but an alternative to all the video game media etc.

Thu Apr 14, 2005 8:49 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

If I was god and could do one thing to held our education system I would Make every single school have equal infunds per child and equal teacher quality. I think that if we are going to improve our schools we first need to equal the playing field.

Fri Apr 15, 2005 4:53 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you all that the sciences and social studies needs to be more heavily emphasized. As some one who is going to teach Social Studies at the Secondary Level I feel that our subject is last (least emphasized) when it comes to the four core subjects. Why is this? Shouldn't it be important to know about the country you live in? Is it not important to learn about diversity in our ever changing world? Should we not know how our government was created and how it works today? I think we should!!! Many improvements need to be made, (reduce class size, raise teacher pay, etc....) but the first thing that needs to happen is for the subjects we teach to be equally valued. Why not incourage a person who is interested in social studies to strive to learn all they can about the subject? Instead, our system emphasizes that math and english are so important that you have to pass a "test" just to graduate.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 11:30 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also just got finished applying for student teaching and I had a hard time with that question as well. I agree with all the points that Summer made and I also included better funding for the school system.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 8:00 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with Allison as well more funding is a major part of improving the nations educational system. The equal distribution of this money is a crucial part of the process as well, but all of this is much easier said than done. :D

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:13 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I also recently filled out a student teaching application. It took me quite a while to figure out what I wanted to say. Here is what I said-

In order to improve our nation's educational system, I think we need to close the gap between rich schools and poor schools. We need to provide children with resources that will allow them the greatest opportunities for success. I believe that funds for schools should be dispersed more fairly than they are now. Certain schools should not get all the money and all the resources, while another school gets hardly anything. I also think that people being hired to teach should have a education/background in teaching. Schools should hire people who have gone through methods classes and learned about pedagogy, not people that have a degree in Chemistry or Physics alone. I feel that they need to be better trained and have the education in teaching to be able to do it effectively. I went through a class where our teacher was not adequately prepared to teach us. She definitely had a knowledge of her subject area, but no clue about how to teach it to us. I would also like to see less tracking in the schools. It seems to limit those who aren`t very successful to always be on the bottom with no chances of improving. We need more equality in the schools.

I really think these things would help in making our educational system better. After thinking about all the things to do to improve the system, I had a really hard time thinking about good things about education right now. Did anyone else have this problem?

Tue Apr 19, 2005 8:38 am
All-star
All-star

I struggled with this question as well. I get so upset to hear people undermind teachers and the education system. I agree that we need smaller classes. It makes me mad that all we do is test the students rather than giving a real well-rounded education. I feel that the most important thing that should happen is that the world gives teachers the respect that they deserve (plus more pay would not hurt either).

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 9 posts ]