View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Your thoughts on student-athletes eligibility requirements 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

What are your thoughts on student-athlete eligibility requirements? Our student-athletes have to pass at least 3 of 4 courses (block) or 5 of seven (traditional) in order to be eligible for athletics. To me the standards are too low! Remember that our athletes are students first and they are also representatives of the school. I feel like they should at least maintain a 1.7 (C-) average. Too many of our high school athletes shoot for no higher than a 70 (passing) just to stay eligible. The low standards send the wrong message in my opinion. Your thoughts?

Mon Apr 18, 2005 12:07 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that they standards should be higher for athletes. Athletes are students first and are apart of the school just as any student and they should not just be praised or focused upon for only their talent as an athlete. They have a responsibility like others to make the good grades that get you into higher education if that is there choice, too many times isee the d's and c's atheltes recieve get them into places "regular" students have a's and b's to make it in. I dont think that the difference of expectations is fair to anyone in a school setting, it sets a bad example.

Mon Apr 18, 2005 4:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree the standards should be higher and I also think that schools should put more pressure on students to get involved with extra curricular activities. It’s a proven fact that athletes along with other students involved in extra curricular activities have a higher attendance rate and better grades. Extra curricular activities should be a part of all students’ lives.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 2:18 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that athletes should be held accountable for their grades. Student athletes, especially in high school, tend to be role models for the other students, so it is up to them to set a good example. At my high school, an athlete had to maintain a 2.7 GPA at all times. This was put into action during my junior year, and it made a huge difference. This happened after the varsity boy’s basketball team had an average GPA of 1.5. The coach locked up the gym until the boys made a pact to put their studies first. And it worked! So, I believe that high standards need to be put in place to hold athletes accountable for their grades.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 12:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Student atheletes should be held accountable for making good grades and maintaining a reasonable GPA. A minimum GPA requirement of 1.7 is pretty pathetic. The standard should be higher for student athletes so that they may get more from the college experience than just a free ride through school and a jump start into professional sports. I don't claim to be the best student in the world but some of these athletes (guys and girls) seem to barely half ass it through school. Some seem to take a lazy attitude with their school work and they are not even close to being able to going pro. I think that many of the universities and high schools tend to look the other way when it comes to athletes and their grades. Sports generate a lot of money and public support for the schools. This tends to place emphasis on student athlete requirments.

Tue Apr 19, 2005 1:50 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]