View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 2:10 pm

Reply to topic  [ 10 posts ] 
 rental text book system 

Should the University keep the rental text book system?
YES 100%  100%  [ 11 ]
NO 0%  0%  [ 0 ]
Total votes : 11

rental text book system 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I figured we should go ahead and talk about this since it's all over the school. It's being discussed as to wether or not the university will keep the rental text book system. In my opinion we should keep it. Its a great system and something unique to our college. Honestly that is one of the top 5 reasons I chose to come to ASU. Just wondering what you guys think about this?

http://appstate.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=29706993

Thu Apr 21, 2005 12:31 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree that they should keep the textbook rental system or modify it. It really helped me out to not have to buy all my books, I had to buy enough supplemental books anwyas, I ended up spending almost 400 dollar on just supplemental. I dont see why they would get rid of it, its such a great thing about this school. It helps out so many students trying to afford college.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 2:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do agree that the University should keep the textbook rental system. I hate to be so blunt with this, but in my opinion, if professors are as intelligent as they say they are, shouldn't they be able to take any textbook and teach from it. No textbook is going to ever be agreed upon by every person. In my opinion, a professor may benefit from using a textbook that he or she has to use. They may learn something new by looking at a different point of view rather than simply teaching what they believe all the time. This is not to say that what they teach is wrong, but to use new information may broaden even the professors intelligence.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:56 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that rental sytsem should be kept for gneral core classes like biology and chemistry.. classes you generally take as a freshman or sophomore. If you are majoring in one of those areas and wish to keep your books, that whould be an option. Then as you get into classes for your major, I think it would be benficial to purchase those text books because you will have them as a reference and can go back to them if you need to. But for classes that you won't ever use the book for again, I think the rental system should stay in place.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 11:11 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the rental textbooks should stay! It’s also a main reason why I came to ASU as well, and sofar I have absolutely loved it. However on the other hand I do see the point that many instructors make to get rid of rental textbooks, and that sometimes the standard book for the course is not one they want to use. But as most of you know in upper level classes, you buy the majority of your books anyway. I think the whole system should be kept like it is and left alone.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the rental system should definitely be kept! First off, I don't know about anyone else, but I already buy around $200 worth of books for supplemental readings, and I have only wanted to keep 2 of the books that I have bought in the past 3 years. Who has the money to pay for supplemental readings plus the texts? I know I don't. And to top it off, you don't even get half your money back for the books. I refuse to pay for any of my texts books.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 3:55 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As an English major I can definitely say that being able to rent those enormous NORTON anthology books has been great! It doesn't always work out that I get all my books through the rental system, but for the most part I am really glad we have it. I think App should keep things like the rental system that attract students to our school.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:25 pm
All-star
All-star

One reason why a lot of students come to Appalachain in the rental system. People talk about how everyone needs a good education and yet they keep making it harder to obtain. It is so sad that even the books we use has turned into a situation to help some people make more money. I am poor and ASU has gotten about all the money that they are going to get from me!

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:57 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the rental book system is a great thing for freshman and sophmores. However, for juniors and seniors its not that great. As the classes get tougher and less broad (ex: Eurasion Chariot Warfare) the less the rental texts are used. I have spent close to $500 on supplementary texts this year and have probably only had 3 rental texts that I have used. THe rental text system is perfect if you take classes that use rental texts. For the others, it kind of sucks. But I am sure we spend less on books during our college careers that most college students.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The book rental system is great for those who use only rental books. It does save students lots of money and I am all for it. The only problem is lke what Danny was talking about. If you are an upper classman than it no longer does you any good. For my classes we have assigned rental text but we never use them because the professors always have some other text that they want us to use. And that is usually more than just one item. But I still think that the rental system is a good thing to have. I hope that it stays around.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:14 pm
Reply to topic   [ 10 posts ]