View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 4:06 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Principals changing effective programs 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

As a teacher, how would you deal with a principal coming in and changing a program at your school that has been highly effective simply because they were wanting to leave their mark on the school?

This does come from a personal experience, and is not completely impossible or out of the air.

Thu Apr 21, 2005 8:58 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

That is a tough one considering your principal is your boss. I would try and work with he/she to achieve what they are trying to achieve. Also, if I felt as if other programs worked better I would try and suggest small changes so that the new programs could be just as effective as the previous ones or better. I just think I would try to work with my principal but also be honest with him about whether what he/she simply wants is working best for the students and school as a whole.

Fri Apr 22, 2005 6:32 pm
All-star
All-star

As Laura said, this is a touchy issue since the principal can make your life miserable. The best approach, if you have a principal who is open, would be to privately discuss your concerns with her/him. If they rule with an iron fist, there isn't much you can do.

Sat Apr 23, 2005 11:36 am
All-star
All-star

I guess if the principal tried to change everything you could atleast try to have some imput on the new program. I would try to look at it as a learning experience and a chance to try something new. Many teachers get into a rut and do the same things over so maybe things can have a fresh start.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Dealing with your principal or a new principle is basically like dealing with any other management within a company. All upper managment is encouraged to do something different or something that can make a difference. With my experience, many of the changes are simply bull#%*@!!!! Iv'e dealt with that stuff before and most of the time these guys are just trying to look good for someone. Usually if you play along for a while it will blow over. Most of the time they will figure out that what they are doing want work or needs major adjustments so that it will work. But sometimes you will have the occasional boss that want give in and makes life miserable. I personally would try not to make to many waves and get to know them first and try to work with them so that they could see the were they maybe going wrong. And then GOOD LUCK!!!!!

Sun Apr 24, 2005 10:25 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]