View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:01 pm

Reply to topic  [ 2 posts ] 
 Gender and its effect on careers 
All-star
All-star

As I prepare to start teaching I have wondered some things. Did I choose to teach because that is a traditional female job? Do I feel that because I am a woman that being a teacher might be one job that will give me an advantage? I was also thinking that is it ok for me to be a teacher but what about being a principal. I would love to run for Congress and eventually be president but could a woman be president in my lifetime. Do you think gender effects what careers we choose?

Sun Apr 24, 2005 5:48 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Hell yes it does. Do you remember Gaylord Focker? One of the best parts of the movie was when his future father-in-law found out that he was going to be a nurse. I think unabashed ridicule might steer someone in another occupational direction.

To be totally honest, part of my reasoning for being a teacher is based on gender. Sadly, we all know that many children do not have positive male role models in their lives. Enter myself. Plus, in the end, I feel a bit more confident that I will find a job somewhere. Unfortunately for the ladies, who are extremely qualified but arriving in masses, I have heard from more than one source that school systems favor male teachers.

As for the president thing. Heck, I would vote for Amber. And as for the next four years: Clinton '08!

Mon Apr 25, 2005 3:53 pm
Reply to topic   [ 2 posts ]