View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 5:42 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 What have you learned? 
All-star
All-star

Now that the class part of Foundations is over I was looking back over the semester and preparing to do the exam. I was wondering what the most important thing you learned for the class? Was it something from the readings or discussion?

P.S. I think the most important thing that I learned was tolerance. I have learned so much from everyone and class and while I may have disagreed from time to time I still respect what everyone had to say.

Sun Apr 24, 2005 6:10 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think that during this class I leanred most of all that you can't save the world and be everything to everyone but you can listen to them and have empathy and compassion for everyone you do meet.

I also think that I will remember some shares from Hope Day as well, given the opportunity alot of people shared some personal things about their life that I apperciated them doing so. It meant alot to hear their stories.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 9:51 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I learned a lot in this class about being open and respecting everyones opinion. I come from a small town in which everyone's values are somewhat similar. It wasn't until college that I was able to learn about other's values and beliefs. Though I still stick by the values I was taught growing up, I do believe I am more open minded and willing to except other's ways of thinking.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 11:14 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I really enjoyed this class because we got to discuss issues that so many teachers are scared to bring up because of the contraversy they might cause. I respect Dr. Turner even more now for her courage to bring up certain issues that we all need to face. I am already a pretty open-minded person and respect choices and lifestyles that other people make, but this class, like everyone else said, has opened my mind up even more. One class that I enjoyed was the one on the transgendered population in our country. That is something that I have never really thought about. I have sadly probably even made fun of those people at one point or another. I realize now that i probably did that because of ignorance in knowing about that group of people. I am really glad that we got to open up and watch the videos. Even though I still dont agree with changes that some people make, I respect them for doing what they feel they need to do even though it will be ridiculed.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 7:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I learned how preoccupied with social class I have been all my life. One thing I've loved about living in Boone is that there is less emphasis on it here than anywhere I've ever been. Growing up in the deep south it was a constant on everyone's mind. It was nice to be in a setting where that could be talked about openly instead of being something that everyone was aware of but no one mentioned. I got a lot of insight not only into my own thinking on this but my parents and also my children and how it has impacted them. It has made me more aware of how we need to talk about uncomfortable topics like this openly in school.

Tue Apr 26, 2005 9:06 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I learned to be aware of others opinions, and that not everyone shares the same views as I do. For me, the videos were the most eye opening, such as Remember Mai Lai and Eyes on the Prize. Also, some of the articles and readings we were assigned are ones I hope to use in my classroom someday. And honestly, I’ve acquired more materials that I will actually use from this class than I have in my methods course!

Wed Apr 27, 2005 8:39 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]