View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 1:59 pm

Reply to topic  [ 1 post ] 
 Being gay in the classroom. 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've got a fire-starter right here. And it's important to me, so tell me what you really think.

In many more-liberal school systems around the country (and by around the country I mean mostly in New England) teachers have begun to include homosexuality awareness programs in their curriculums. The programs are an attempt to eliminate the us/them trend running through our culture where the gay community is merely an outside minority.

I must emphasize here that the programs do not discuss sex. And sex, after all, is only a small part of most healthy relationships. The focus, instead, is on the presence of families and relationships that are homosexual. In the end, the idea is to make homosexuality a living part of our beautiful culture - not a disease we have to eradicate.

Personally, I believe this is the best idea we have had in the public school systems in several years. Imagine that! A sense of belonging and community in the school systems - what a great idea.

Let me know what you think. And, honestly, if you aren't sure how you feel (which is a beautiful thing in itself) re-read King's "Letter from a Birmingham Jail." It's not an easy thing to discuss, and I am not sure we talked enough about it in class.

Mon Apr 25, 2005 4:06 pm
Reply to topic   [ 1 post ]