View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 9:29 am

Reply to topic  [ 13 posts ] 
 Postcards 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I was really disturbed by the postcards that viewed for class tonight. I'm not sure about the rest of you, but I was under the impression that lynchings were done in private. I was surprised to learn that it was a "carnival type" atmosphere

Wed May 25, 2005 10:27 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I didn't particularly care for the postcards either, but I do recognize their importance. Do you remember Dr. Campbell talking about the lynchings that took place in Burke County not so very many years ago?

Wed May 25, 2005 11:30 pm
All-star
All-star

I am just glad that they do not do that now. I could not imagine my children watching such a horror and enjoying the "show". It is bad enough they get to kill on video games.

Thu May 26, 2005 6:00 am
Profile YIM
All-star
All-star

Kristi, I have a couple of good books on the subject if you ever have the time to read anything that isn't textual!! In many towns, when a person of color committed an offense that "deserved" lynching, it was like a blood lust fell upon the group of men who went after the offender. Even those who were not guilty would hide in fear of the search party. The whole town, both black and white, knew what was going on. Some whites felt like they were doing what they had to in order to remain at the top of the social ladder, and those were the ones who would celebrate their "victory." There were also a minority of white people who did not participate, but were likely afraid to speak out.

It sounds like last nights class was a good one. Gayle told me that I would miss some good stuff! :( I should be at the rest of the classes.

Thu May 26, 2005 7:23 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I didn't care much for the postcards either. How could someone be so mentally twisted as to enjoy looking at something so gruesome? The sad part about that is they're really are sick demented people like that out in our society.

Thu May 26, 2005 10:38 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The post cards are hard to look at but you have to also realize the time in history. i am not saying that lynching is ok all i am saying is that you can not judge history from the time period you live in. during this time you have to think about what the white people were thinking about. To the White people, during this time, saw that the killing off of blacks was protecting their future and their way of life, the whites had fear of the unknown. You could look at this in the way we looked at freedom not everyone wanted to go to the new free world because it was the unknown and so to the whites having blacks in their society was of the unknown, fear of change. the Post cards are sad but the cards teach us to not except this killing but to look at what is happening and apply this to the classroom it took how many years before blacks were allowed to be taught in class/ in schools with other whites. In the classroom is this type of action maybe not the killing but this kind of hate and fear still around today?

Maybe the post cards are to teach us to be able to see this fear and provent this kind of action to take place.........

Thu May 26, 2005 12:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

We keep talking about race which is a large part of this topic, but did anyone notice that some of the victims were white? A couple were labeled jewish or immigrant but some seemed to be your average white male. So if all lynchings are not about race then what else are they about?

Thu May 26, 2005 8:40 pm
All-star
All-star

Location: In the reference section between World Book and Britannica.
The post cards are hard to look at but you have to also realize the time in history. i am not saying that lynching is ok all i am saying is that you can not judge history from the time period you live in. during this time you have to think about what the white people were thinking about. To the White people, during this time, saw that the killing off of blacks was protecting their future and their way of life, the whites had fear of the unknown. You could look at this in the way we looked at freedom not everyone wanted to go to the new free world because it was the unknown and so to the whites having blacks in their society was of the unknown, fear of change. the Post cards are sad but the cards teach us to not except this killing but to look at what is happening and apply this to the classroom it took how many years before blacks were allowed to be taught in class/ in schools with other whites. In the classroom is this type of action maybe not the killing but this kind of hate and fear still around today?

Maybe the post cards are to teach us to be able to see this fear and provent this kind of action to take place.........

Forgot to sign in. Sorry.

Reguardless of the time period in which you live, your humanity should envoke the feelings of right and wrong. We live in a world today where it is acceptable to abort human lives but that doesn't mean that everyone is going to participate just because their neighbors and friends are doing it.

Fri May 27, 2005 2:14 pm
All-star
All-star

I also thought that they were private. They are illegal. It is nothing more than murder. The people that did these actions must have thought that the law would let them get away with a crime. I believe that our justice system is the best in the world. Its not perfect, but I believe that it is closer than anything else in this world.

Fri May 27, 2005 9:42 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

The postcards were disturbing. The picture I can not get out of my mind is one where several white men were looking into the camera laughing. They were enjoying theirselves and probably leaving for home, a nice meal, and to talk about the great day. They did not seem to have any misgivings.

Sun May 29, 2005 1:17 pm
All-star
All-star

the postcards were disturbing - but everyone didn't hold with the lynchings. But there are racists everywhere - hatred is a strong fire to put out. I keep flashing back to that movie Mississippi burning about the killing of three civil rights activists - very touching defintely worth watching or the movie a time to kill.

Mon May 30, 2005 7:49 am
All-star
All-star

The postcards were very disturbing. It is so sad that there are people who could do those things to other people. I do not understand it, but as it was mentioned in class, watching other people being tortured for entertainment has dated back to the "gladiator days." And today it is very accepted to watch such violence and torture on TV and in the movies.

Mon May 30, 2005 10:33 am
All-star
All-star

There is a famous book "Postcards from an American Farmer" meant to inspire peole to come and live in America. One of these "postcards" tells of a negro suspended in a cage for days as punishment. His wounds and eyes had been eaten out by birds and he would have dehydrated but his family kept spoon feeding him water when no one was looking. The description of his plight was horrendous, as was the description of the reaction of the white people who owned him. They very much went about their business, sat down to diner and discussed the days events with no remorse over this mans continued suffering. A lynching for him would have been an end to his suffering, but his punishment was inflicted upon the entire slave community by its public display.

Tue Jun 07, 2005 2:00 pm
Reply to topic   [ 13 posts ]