View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 7:25 pm

Reply to topic  [ 11 posts ] 
 VIETNAM VIDEO 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I haven't really studied history and I had no idea the horrors that went on during 'Nam. To think that soldiers would kill these innocent villagers is apalling. So what they were given orders; that's when I stop taking orders from others, is when it puts the harm (especially death) in the way of others.

Thu May 26, 2005 10:26 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I agree with you it really upsets me about all the killing but i also have to think about what it would be like to be right there with the young men and what they were thinking and how they could do this. but to me it seems like they were damned it they did, damned if they didn't.

Thu May 26, 2005 12:37 pm
All-star
All-star

I have a very good book called "Charlie Company" that was written by four veterans and the book is very graphic. The book explains what it was like to be in Vietnam, from their perspective. They even describe how there were racial barriers between the black and white soldiers, including a gun fight at a base camp between US soldiers.

Fri May 27, 2005 8:23 pm
All-star
All-star

When the soldiers realized that the people were unarmed they should have questioned their orders. They might have been in the wrong village, or the enemy may have left earlier. The only man from the video that did the right thing was the helicopter pilot. He should have received an award for knowing right from wrong and saving the people that he could.

Fri May 27, 2005 9:09 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

It is hard to understand the actions of the soldiers without being there. I said in class that my dad was retired military. I know what it is like to be an 'army brat,' but have no idea what he went through. When it comes to Vietnam, he has never discussed it. His reply has always been "There's nothing to tell" or "You don't want to know." The whole war was a tragedy for all people involved.

Sun May 29, 2005 1:28 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Watching the videos (pschological experiment and Mai Lai) and discussing the "human condition" has got me to thinking. What is it in the minds, of some people and not others, that pushes them to hurt others when it is clearly not self-defense? It seems to me that they go into a place of animalistic, predatory way of acting. They loose sight of cultural and societal norms. In nature, there is a food chain and a definite social hierarchy among our animal friends. It appears that we are closer to being like our animal friends at times than me want to acknowledge. Perhaps, there is only a thin veil between our encapsulating culture and our deep rooted animalistic and biological predisposition.

Sun May 29, 2005 6:43 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think the soliders that murdered the unarmed were predisposed to act violently, irregardless of their military training.

Sun May 29, 2005 9:27 pm
All-star
All-star

It was defintely a tragedy but if the vietcong had honored the internatioal rules of engagement and warefare some of the tragedy could have been avoided. I see similarities between Vietnam and Irag - if you can't tell who the enemy is then everyone becomes the enemy - I can't imagine seeing comrades gunned down by snipers that no one can see - the only solution would be to level the field/jungle etc.

Mon May 30, 2005 7:46 am
All-star
All-star

As I mentioned in class, I do remember a little about this incident. I think I felt compassion toward the officer that was found guilty because I believed he was following orders, and I felt the other officers should have been punished also. After seeing the video, I realize I probably did not know and/or understand the depth of the situation.

Mon May 30, 2005 10:19 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I take your side Melissa when you say they were damned if they did, and damned if they didn't. I could imagine being in a situation like those men were in. They did not know which way to turn or who to trust. In other stories from Vietnam we've heard where children, women, and old men have killed as well. Who did they trust? I would like to think if I were in that situation and eventually realized these people were not armed I would still have my wits about me and have been able to stop so of the madness. Don't get me wrong I am not siding in this situation entirely with either side. The American soldiers should not have raped the young girls or cut out their tongues but war is not always a pretty sight.

Mon May 30, 2005 11:18 am
All-star
All-star

I think the soliders that murdered the unarmed were predisposed to act violently, irregardless of their military training.

I don't know if I agree with you or not. I did not see the video as I took the night off class, but I do believe that ALL of us have the capacity for violence within us. If someone is put under enough pressure for long enough, the violent side will emerge. That side is closer to the surface for some than others, and I think those people become labeled "prone" to violence--but I do believe that it lives within all of us. It is scary to meet that side of yourself.

Mon May 30, 2005 11:23 am
Reply to topic   [ 11 posts ]