View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 8:27 pm

Reply to topic  [ 4 posts ] 
 Lynching in Rutherford County 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

In the early 1900's, some members of my husband's family were lynched in Rutherford County. An African American man had married a white woman, and they had children. These people burned the home with all members inside and they died. The authorities caught the Adair boys and they were hanged in public. My husband's uncle has original articles about the incident. His family is not proud of what happened and they believe that justice was served. I think it is an interesting story.

Sun May 29, 2005 1:36 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Sounds like an interesting story. I would like to discuss it further - maybe before the next class. Do you know if Rutherford Co had other lynchings?

Sun May 29, 2005 11:22 pm
All-star
All-star

Today, those who did that would probably gat a lawyer say they were crazy and get ten years in prison or something. I bet the family would not feel like justice was served then. That is an interesting story.

Mon May 30, 2005 9:14 am
All-star
All-star

Janet, I passed the Lynching Tree in Rutherford county the other day. There is a historical marker and everything. It is sad to think we would mark it and call attention to it, but on the other hand we cannot ignore the black spots in our history. I always have mixed emotions when I see a sign like that; it turns my stomach to think of the pain inflicted there, but I know that if we ignore history we are doomed to repeat it.

Mon May 30, 2005 11:19 am
Reply to topic   [ 4 posts ]