View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:48 am

Reply to topic  [ 8 posts ] 
 Vietnam video 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I've seen new clips of the war coverage before and I've read The Pentagon Papers. My dad was a Marine and served in Vietnam. Clearly the war was a tradegy, as are all wars. Footage and photographs of dead children, particularly small children, are extremely distrubing for me. Maybe Americans' views of questionable soliders actions would be different if we had won the war?

Sun May 29, 2005 9:24 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

You have a great point and i think that you are right to a point because you do not hear much about other military mistakes in other wars unless it was or became an unpopular war.

Sun May 29, 2005 11:08 pm
All-star
All-star

Anyone that doesn't respect the military doesn't deserve to live in the United States. In the video the helicopter pilot, through trying to be noble, once he told his guys to fire on American soldiers I didn't care to hear anything else that he had to say. "Traitor" came to mind. And while rape etc is terrible and one of the three reason for exection in this country it is a part of war period and it happens all the time by us and the enemy.

Mon May 30, 2005 7:26 am
All-star
All-star

I see what you are saying Charity because when I was when there was a saying. "What happens in the field stays in the field!" I saw things that were not supposed to happen, but they did. Also, when people are playing sports and are doing good. they are "in the zone." Well, it is the same for soldiers, they were in their zone. The military beats your training into your head so much that when something does happen you just go off.

Mon May 30, 2005 8:58 am
All-star
All-star

I am really disturbed by the attitude that rape 'just happens' during war. While I am not sure those types of acts could ever be purged from battle, I cannot shrug and say that is just what happens. There will always be people who will commit those crimes, both in and out of battle situations, and all of those people should be punished. Whether they are soldiers or not.
:!:

Tue Jun 07, 2005 1:52 pm
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think there are a great many things that happened to and by the soldiers in the Vietnam War that we as average citizens could never even imagine. I kept remembering seeing films depicting the soldiers using drugs and drinking heavily while serving there and I wondered why none of that was talked about in this film. From what I have seen, it was also a factor in some of the actions and emotions of the soldiers. I also think there were some terribly inhumane acts committed by "normal" people under "abnormal" conditions. It makes you wonder what you would be capable under duress.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 7:57 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I'm going to agree with Charity on this, if you don't feel good or want to back up our military, what in the world are you doing in the this great free country of ours.

Wed Jun 15, 2005 8:35 am
All-star
All-star

I agree that we should back our military. You can not point a finger a someone and say that you would not act that way. I have not been in the military, and I would not know how I would act if I was given a gun and told "Those people want to kill you."

PS I'm now afraid of Johnny! :shock:

Wed Jun 15, 2005 6:34 pm
Reply to topic   [ 8 posts ]