View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 9:31 am

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Bad Bad Johnny Brown 
All-star
All-star

Why Johnny Can't Disobey - in our society members are encouraged to follow rules and guidelines. This is not necessarily bad. It is interesting because society simotaneously stresses individuality so kids are getting mixed messages. The problem with people getting manipulated in cults etc goes deeper than just that person's physicological makeup. I believe that stability is instituted in kids by the family - which is slowly but surely falling apart. Kids from unstable home are more likely to seek acceptance and confirmation and especially love from a group or individual. Excellent examples include cults, mass suicides, suicide pacts and of course the increase in sexual activity especially among younger kids ie middle school. Cults etc are a symptom of the true problem - the break down in our families.

Mon May 30, 2005 7:22 am
All-star
All-star

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree with you Charity about those kids who come from an unstable home seek acceptance. But I also feel that those kids who do not disobey and are the "teachers pet" are also seeking acceptance from someone or some group. The teachers pets get picked and teased as well. Once out of school and in the "real world" they are still seeking acceptance. Acceptance through cults, sex, etc. will only solve their problems temporarily.
[/quote]

Mon May 30, 2005 9:08 am
All-star
All-star

I was one of those teacher's pets in school. I wanted to be noticed and accepted by my peers, so I tried to excel in academics and tried to be noticed and accepted by my teachers for their praise.

Mon May 30, 2005 12:34 pm
Profile YIM
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I think those mixed messages we are sending kids can be tempered so that they become a message of balance. In other words, teach our students how to exist with the rules of society, but at the same time teach them that there are times to think individually. Teach them that to think individually can sometimes mean defying authority. Remember , Kohlberg's Theory on moral reasoning. The sixth stage is what we should teach our students to aspire to; follow the rules unless the rules interfere with your own moral fiber.

Tue May 31, 2005 9:21 pm
All-star
All-star

The falling apart of families is also causing a rise in gangs. Of course I would relate this to my job, but the state of NC has also noticed a rise in gang activity outside the prisons. This is true for large cities, and growing cities like Morganton. If you know what to look for, you will see this activity on the news.

Tue May 31, 2005 10:39 pm
Reply to topic   [ 5 posts ]