View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently Fri Apr 19, 2024 6:17 pm

Reply to topic  [ 6 posts ] 
 Hidden Curriculium and Social Class 
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

Before reading this article I did not make the association between social class and a hidden curriculium. I felt the descriptions were similiar to different teaching styles to be found in any school. Do teachers really have the misconception that students from lower social backgrounds should be taught different from those from affluent neighborhoods? The latter style reminded me of what I saw and heard during the field visit to West Wilkes Middle, and I think all children should be taught in a similiar environment. Comments? Questions?

Mon May 30, 2005 10:20 am
All-star
All-star

I just want to add to Mary's comments. I agree. The West Wilkes School appears to be a great place for education for all social classes. I know we were there only a short time, but I did not see social class division. Just being there made me feel "high class." While we were there, I kept thinking that if childern got used to this type of high standard of living enviroment that they would grow to expect it for themselves and want it for themselves when they are older and are out on their own.

Mon May 30, 2005 10:46 am
All-star
All-star

I remember classes in my high school taught textile skills, I thought it was sad that the public school system was encouraging gradualtes to enter a mill like that. I did work in a mill for 12 years and made a very good living at it. It was honest work and it allowed me to take college classes as I worked, but I never liked the class being offered in the high school!.

Mon May 30, 2005 11:33 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I do agree that children should have the same opportunity as other children. I don't think teachers have hidden agenda's or curriculums that they use to teach with. I have only been teaching for two years and each class that I have often has to be modified for varies reasons. One of the reasons dealt with parental support. I have one class that the children in there run wild when they get home, stay up all night, do not push for homework to be done, and so forth. Whereas, I have another class that the parents know and remember every grade their child gets. These parents also ensure their children have everything they need and they push their children to above and beyond the normal. In working with these two groups I have to modify my teaching. I feel like we still cover a lot of the same material but in a different format. My first group does not think like my second group believe me I have tried to get them there but it just would not happen. Because of that if I didn't change the way I did things they would fell. My second group on the other hand will work and rework assignments until they make the grade they are pleased with. So I don't think all teachers should be blamed for having a "hidden curriculum". Heather

Mon May 30, 2005 11:46 am
Semi-pro
Semi-pro

I basically agree with all of the previous comments. However, I would like to add that if the teaching technique adjustment benefits the student what's wrong with that?

Mon May 30, 2005 11:10 pm
All-star
All-star

Yeah Heather! I think you are one the teachers who do want each child to succeed!! Modifying the class lessons to fit the need of the child, isn't that what our professors have been stressing? I guess what you are also saying, sometimes children put themselves in catagories, not neccessarily by social class. Although, I guess across the board, as we have mentioned in class, the less motivated children (most of the time) come from the lower income families. But remember, Jennifer and the students at her private school had a lot of freedom.

Wed Jun 01, 2005 7:36 am
Reply to topic   [ 6 posts ]